Boat Transport.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Hi... I am mystified as to how to transport a 6500# Columbia from West Coast to Galveston. At 6500#, it is right in the middle for transport configurations.. You would tow a Mac 25 on it's (or an improved) tailer... A 37' Hunter gets the full semi-trailer treatment. For a boat with fixed keel - in that "heavier" region, what would be the best transport method? First thought is to use a (suitably rated) pickup and trailer. But how to find a reasonable trailer? Any suggestions?? --jerry

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
cost should be around $3/mile

Jerry: We had our Hunter Vision 36 hauled from Lake Stockton, Mo. to Stockton Ca. last March. The cost was $3/mile. I would not suggest hauling without a permit and a planned route.

Jan 6, 2007
Hunter H36 Stamford, CT
Alternative thought

You might want to look into hiring a delivery captain to sail it down for you. It would also save you from unstepping and re-stepping the mast, permits etc.

Jul 24, 2005
Cost Estimate and TJ's Neat Solution.

I did the cost numbers, too... In and out of the water.. $600 transport 1500x3........ $4500++ that is the problem with an old boat... 6500# and that means a flatbed or three axel trailer. TJ, I think you have the right of it... :> any more pictures? and how did you come up a neat solution?... --jerry

F

Fred

Try Uship. They have all kinds of

folks, from pick ups with boat or car trailers to mom and pop real semi boat trailers. I had lots of response when I asked for a bid there.

Apr 11, 2006
- - corpus christi, tx
TJ

what was your overall height? I have a friend that brought some equipment from Utah to south texas and he said getting permits was a lot easier than he had thought and not that expensive. I know that if you are over 13'6" you better be watching those overpasses.

Jul 24, 2005
Height....

Echo... would you happen to have some more pictures? 3500# axels, dual stands, and a keel lock down.. pretty neat.... I am not sure of the height.. But I can make it less than 13', I think.... thanks... --jerry

Sep 15, 2006
Oday 27 Nova Scotia
Axles

A pair of 3500 lb axles are too light: TJ's post said he used 6000# axles & I agree totally. Your 6500# boat + trailer is going to gross out >8500# and for a longish tow in warm weather, the bearings, hubs etc on the 3500# axles are going to be overloaded. Make shure you've got good effective braking on both axles, and that the tires are rated for the load & inflated to the max. recommended pressure. Even if your tow vehicle is a 1 ton dually, the trailer suspension, brakes & tires are going to make the difference in handling & stopping safely. I hauled my boat abt. 300 miles : gross wt was abt. 9000# & I had 2-3500# axles on the trailer. Even tho the ambient temp was c. 30°F, the trailer bearings were pretty warm. I stopped every 1/2 hr or so to check them. If it had been summer, I think the bearings would have overheated & failed. Max. vertical clearance on major highways is 13'6", but watch out on any secondary roads as there are often wires, cables etc that are lower. You can do it & good luck to ya, but don't shoot yourself in the foot by cobbling up some mickey mouse trailer that'll leave you stranded in the Mojave.

markus

Nov 6, 2006
- - Ohio
use a well made trailer

I haul my cat27 with a trailer and an F250 diesel... it works well, but don't expect to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds. The main thing is don't be in a hurry and plan your route. Make sure the trailer is well built and the boat is secured. You don't want to end up with you boat in the ditch, or worse, on top of someone's car. I agree with many of the posts here. Make sure to use a well made trailer or use a hauling company. Even though you can use a utility trailer and homemade rig... but make sure you know what you are doing. I would also get permits where and if even needed. There are a lot of officers sitting on the side of the road here in rural ohio... who know where you are going.

May 24, 2004
Ericson E-23 Smith Mt. Lake
If you do it yourself...

Think in terms of worst case scenarios: IF a wheel bearing goes out, IF a tire blows, IF you have to panic stop doing downhill at 60... Planning for each of those ahead of time is only prudent. An IF you are involved in an accident, liability issues could well hinge on whether your rig is legal and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.