boat sits high on trailer

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
tried launching macgregor venture 17,it sits on original trailer,couldn't get it to float off trailer bunks,sits a little bit too high. should i get a trailer tongue extension or try something else anyone else had this problem

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Is it a regular boat ramp? Do you know of or have seen other boats launched & retrieved there? Is the water high enough to float your boat? I'm able to get my 26S in and out of regular state park ramps, your 17' supposedly will float in 1.42 feet of water.
Stupid question, are you sure you got all the tie-down straps off before your attempted launch... I've forgotten one time over the years, especially when rushing if the ramp is busy, seen others do it too.
Was your swing keel pulled up all the way to clear the trailer?

Jul 14, 2019
yes to all to all of you're questions,if i could have backed up more it would have worked but i didn't want to get my muffler in the water

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Generally, a lot of people back up with the mufflers in the water, when the engine is running no water is going in it (I think).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ramp is too shallow. I had the same problem with my Mac sometimes. You could try an extension, but be sure you don't run off the ramp and into mud or something. Or find a different ramp

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So I usually get my muffler wet but don't drown it. I used to own a Mac 22 and also got the muffler wet on that boat also. And once during a drought I ran the Mac 22's trailer tires over the edge of the ramp. No amount of pulling was going to get the tires to come up over the ledge. I sat there pulling on my chin and staring at the boat with what I geuss was a WTF look when an old-timer walked over to me and suggested I take a line from my starboard cleat, under the trailer and then up to the port winch and just winch the trailer up under the boat and float it off.

Worked like a charm! So tuck this trick in the back of your mind in case you ever run your trailer off of the ramp.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One more thing that helps... if you have outdoor carpet on your skids... spray some of this on the carpet next time you have the boat off and the carpet is dry...

1603223642170.png

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I've launched my 26S in over a dozen different ramps over the last 5 years. I always have to backup far enough so exhaust pipe on my Tahoe is just under water. I don't turn off the engine. When I hear the bubbling from exhaust, I know I'm at the right depth to float boat on or off trailer.

Jul 14, 2019
I'll do that when i try to launch my boat again, talked to a mechanic said it would be alright