Bimini top

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I installed my Bimini this past Sunday. The dimensions are 6ft long, 73-78" wide and 48" tall. My question is, when I put the Bimini up I have to lift up on the boom near the topping lift so the center of the Bimini clears the boom. Once open and strapped down the boom clears the bimini. Does anyone else have to lift up on the boom to open their bimini or should I shorten mine?

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I have to swing the boom off to one side or lift it for the arc of the opening or closing bimini bow to clear.
Been doing it for years. No problem.
When you "shorten mine" you are referring to lowering the bimini height aren't you?
I wouldn't bother.

gary

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Thanks Gary seems I don't have a problem just a normal situation!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Same thing on my H260. The only problem is that sometimes I forget and struggle with it until I realize what’s going on. It’s a very small price to pay for shade on the water.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Same thing on my H260. The only problem is that sometimes I forget and struggle with it until I realize what’s going on.
You're not alone. :redface:

Gosh darn consarn crumb bum piece 'o JUNK! ... what'n tarnation's holdin' this cotton pickin' thing up THIS time!

... push push shove struggle struggle curse curse curse ...

Oh ... Yeah. Whew!!

... pant pant pant ...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You're not alone. :redface:

Gosh darn consarn crumb bum piece 'o JUNK! ... what'n tarnation's holdin' this cotton pickin' thing up THIS time!

... push push shove struggle struggle curse curse curse ...

Oh ... Yeah. Whew!!

... pant pant pant ...
My words exactly!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I never have to lift the boom before putting up the Bimini. The reason is the Bimini goes up first, right after raising the mast. I debated if the Bimini should be lower than the boom. I'm glad it is above the boom. Under sail, it is nice to be able to stand up straight and still be under the Bimini. It looks a little high and awkward on the boat, but it was the right way to do it.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Since you are only raising the end of the boom just raise the end of the boom with the topping lift. No real adjustment and it has no affect on sailing since you normally release the topping lift while sailing.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I raise up the boom to put the bimini up, once up in place and stretched out it clears the boom...ymmv...

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I debated if the Bimini should be lower than the boom. I'm glad it is above the boom. Under sail, it is nice to be able to stand up straight and still be under the Bimini. It looks a little high and awkward on the boat, but it was the right way to do it.
What do you mean - it is above the boom? I thought the mainsail was above the boom?

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I'm thinking/hoping he meant that it is above the boom when opening at it's highest reach, not during sail.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The boom is about 6+ inches longer than the sail. The Bimini just overhangs the boom by about 2-3 inches. It just barely clears the frame as it swings athwartship.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
old thread (April), same answers, boom is held up by a topping lift, a rigid vang, a pigtail, or sitting atop the bimini when at rest. When sailing it clears the bimini which I believe mine to be 46" in height....I do need to raise the boom to deploy the bimini, as others have mentioned (as I have no topping lift), not uncommon...IMO

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
You're not alone. My bimini will rub on the bottom of the boom as well so I bought enough small line to run my topping lift back to the cockpit. When I trailer, the bimini lays forward on the cabin for travel, I pull the boom/sail out of the cabin using the topping lift to support the back end of the boom while I attach it to the mast. Once rigged up, I can pull the back end of the boom up and raise the bimini. Once the bimini is secured on it's tracks and strapped down, I can lower the end of the boom to the correct sailing position. I find this to work for me and use less of Genes words in the process.