Bilge pump placement on my H376.

Mar 26, 2015
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
The bilge pump placement on my H376 is on a moveable fiberglass mount, that rests on the top of the keel bolts. This places the float and pump, roughly, 3” above the bottom of the bilge.
I think this is the stock mounting position, but it seems really wrong.
May I / should I reinstall in the bilge floor? Glue or screw? Glass in a mounting pad, then screw into it?
Thank you. Tim

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I wonder if that is the high water alarm. Does it make sound when it runs

Mar 26, 2015
I think it is simply a poorly thought out method of making the bilge pump and float accessible, by lifting the fiberglass mount.
they did not take into account that the float won’t turn on the pump unless there is, at least, 4 inches in the bilge.
Hunter could have used the same concept, but formed the mount so that it nested between the keel bolts and nuts.
no, no alarm sounds and no, the pump never goes on. I made an aluminum mount, for an auxiliary pump, that sits at the bottom of the bilge and is operated by a switch, when I see that there is too much (1 to 2 inches) water in the bilge.
The point is that the auxiliary system wouldn’t be necessary if Hunter designed it properly, in the first place.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would not screw it down, but if it has a mounting base, I would use some adhesive to glue it down, then put the pump on the base. If no base, I think I would put some starboard or something glued to the bilge floor, and screw the pump to that.

A PO screwed a pump base down in my old boat. Never had an issue, and he used small, short screws, but still seems like it is tempting fate.

Greg

Mar 26, 2015
Thanks Greg.
I’m going to either cut down (narrow) and reinforce the existing moveable mount, or fabricate (bend) a new one from 316 SS flat bar or strip.
I’ll still be able to raise the mount, for pump or float replacement.
Pics if the keel “pocket” can be seen, below. The total depth is 32”. The height of the pump/float bracket is 19”. Too deep to deal with maintenance at the bottom of the pocket.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thanks Greg.
I’m going to either cut down (narrow) and reinforce the existing moveable mount, or fabricate (bend) a new one from 316 SS flat bar or strip.
Pics if the keel “pocket” can be seen, below. The total depth is 32”. The height of the pump/float bracket is 19”. Too deep to deal with maintenance at the bottom of the pocket.
I highly suggest getting the WhaleIC with remote bilge strainer input.
This will solve all of your problems, and you’ll never have to think about it again. Do it once.. do it properly

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks Greg.
That is tight!
I like the removable mount idea for that setup…

Greg

Mar 26, 2015
Thank you artboas. The Whale Ic will definitely do the job. It will be a great addition to the bilge in Mer-Sea Beaucoup!