• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Best of Luck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hoping that the storm does not make too much of a mess for you folks up in the northeast.. Get all the canvass off, tie up very securely (on hard or in the water) Good Luck .. stay safe..

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interestingly enough, my marine boat insurer, Chubb, just send me an email to advise me of their claim departmenty contact as a result of the impending storm. That's a first.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Interestingly enough, my marine boat insurer, Chubb, just send me an email to advise me of their claim departmenty contact as a result of the impending storm. That's a first.
Chubb has always been one of the premiere underwriters.

Although I’m baffled how they concluded an Atlantic storm would effect SF bay.

Nov 6, 2006
Since the storms aren't rare here on the gulf coast, I usually get an e mail at the beginning of the season with a checklist of suggested preparations, then if a storm gets close, another e mail with insurance company contact numbers and another set of "what to do" suggestions.. I think Progressive is doing a good job here with boat insurance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@kloudie1 Thank you for the good wishes.

Fortunately, Second Star is an unusually prescient boat that knows her skipper is new to saltwater sailing, tides, and hurricanes. Last Monday she realized her skipper was setting course for Eastern LI Sound, a destination that lie in Henri's path. Not wanting to allow her skipper to make such a profound error in judgement nor to subject herself and her crew to a hurricane afloat so early in their cruise, she, in a valiant effort of self-sacrifice allowed her transmission to seize, causing an itinerary change to a suitable repair facility where she was placed on the hard last Wednesday.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Man, I knew a woman who kept me out of some trouble, but it cost me more than a new engine/trans! ;)
No fun for you, but good to be out of that area.. Sorry to hear of the trans problem, Dave

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The problem with Solar Panels is they can catch updrafts.

Since your boat @dlochner appears to be on the hard, the Beam sides will be the wind exposures.

If the bow faces North or North East, it would be best low force on the boat.

Jim..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The problem with Solar Panels is they can catch updrafts.

Since your boat @dlochner appears to be on the hard, the Beam sides will be the wind exposures.

If the bow faces North or North East, it would be best low force on the boat.

Jim..
That boat of mine is pretty smart, she got to a place that is on the very western edge of the TS warnings. Predict Wind is calling for winds in the low 20s. We should be fine. I'll know Monday.