Best 9.9 or 10 HP Extra long shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
Tanzer 7.5 Shoal Draft Sloop Rockhold Creek
OK, I got the word today from the marina manager I trust: "It's time to replace that old Honda."

I'm asking for your advice and experience to help me in the pursuit of a replacement. I need a 9.9 or 10 HP extra long shaft (25"), tiller control, electric start, (electric tilt?) VERY reliable outboard.

I'm tired of carburetor problems and stories about "Gasohol is the problem." I need a reliable idle, even while changing from Forward to Reverse. I need instant start without fear of a stall. I want not to worry about the outboard so I can focus on my sails and navigation. (Right now I can't get out of my slip!)

Help me folks. Tell me your stories. Refer me to articles or reviews I might find useful.

(This is for our '85 Tanzer 7.5m shoal draft sloop, on the Chesapeake.)

And, thanks. :dance:

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
The bearer of bad tidings

You are not going to get what you are asking for. There are no small outboards made to my knowledge that do not have a carburetor. All carburetors are very sensitive to gasahol problems. Also, if you check closely, you will find that all the smaller outboards, are made by just a few basic manufacturers, with Nissan/Tohatsu and Honda being the major two. Just the same motor, badged different. More important to your satisfaction will be how you use it and take care of it. Running the carb. dry every time you use it, and using Sta-Bil in you fuel, and not keeping fuel long, will eliminate most of the problems you hear about. It is also possible in most areas to find fuel that has no ethanol in it. I have a little Suzuki 2stroke, and by being careful to run it dry each time, and using Sta-Bil, it is basically trouble free.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Re: The bearer of bad tidings

I ran motors dry for 50+ years, till I got a merc 4 st 6hp with my S-2 7.9. #@!%^ thing wouldn't start if I 'ran it dry". turns out there was a little gas left in the bottom of the bowl when it ran dry. It evaporated quickly and plugged up the works. My choices were remove the cowl and bleed screw or leave bowl full. leaving bowl full was much easier.

May 11, 2005
Running dry

What a royal PITA it would be if there was some fuel left in the bowl when run dry. Think I would make/rig or whatever some kind of a drain. Leaving the bowl full would be OK if you didn't leave it very long. The bowl is vented, so whatever is in there will evaporate. The choices are so thin these days anyway. Nissan/Tohatsu make most of these small motors. Honda is about the only other choice. Many love their Honda's, with the exception of the 2hp, which there are complaints about.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Both Tohatsu and Honda make a 25" electric start 9.9. You're looking at about $3000. I think the Honda is available with electric tilt too. If your existing engine is a two stroke, chances are your mounting bracket is not specifically rated to handle a four stroke engine, and you will have to replace that too.

May 9, 2011
Tanzer 7.5 Shoal Draft Sloop Rockhold Creek
Is Suzuki a Nissan/Tohatsu as well?

I'm struggleing to believe Suzuki isn't making their own. I'm not sure they have 25' shaft 9.9, but I'm looking. What do you all think?

May 11, 2005
Suzuki

I did a google search, and found you can buy a 25" shaft, power tilt, electric start Suzuki 9.9 for 2599. Like mentioned above, I would certainly make sure my bracket would handle the weight. As to what is made by who and rebranded, don't know about all of them. Think that maybe Suzuki and Yamaha make their own, but don't lay any bets.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
I would certainly make sure my bracket would handle the weight.

Remember, in determining which mounting bracket to use, its not just the extra weight of the four stroke you have to deal with; a four stroke generates more torque than its two stroke cousin, and whatever mounting bracket you use must be sufficiently robust to handle it. There have been lots of debates on this and other websites as to whether a rated to accomodate a heavy two stroke engine is strong enough to handle a lighweight four stroke engine. I'm no engineer (I don't even play one on TV), so that sort of analysis is beyond me. It really comes down to your personal acceptance of risk.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What a royal PITA it would be if there was some fuel left in the bowl when run dry. Think I would make/rig or whatever some kind of a drain. Leaving the bowl full would be OK if you didn't leave it very long. The bowl is vented, so whatever is in there will evaporate. The choices are so thin these days anyway. Nissan/Tohatsu make most of these small motors. Honda is about the only other choice. Many love their Honda's, with the exception of the 2hp, which there are complaints about.
What's wrong with the Honda 2hp? I'm about ready to buy one.......

Nov 22, 2010
Oday 23 Apex
If you know a good out board mechanic find a 9.9 Johnson longshaft sailmaster. Have it completely pulled apart and rebuilt. All the parts are out there. Mine is a 78 with electric start and you can mount a power bracket on the stern. Run it dry and it will always start with a couple of pumps the first go around. No cut offs during shifting and it will flat push a ODay 23. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.