Berth headroom 36 vs 38

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I like the looks of the Hunter 356/36 and 38 with the transverse aft queens, but thanks to Covid, I've only seen pictures. The brochures indicate headroom standing next to the beds, but not in bed, i.e. can you sit up, or can the sleeper aft climb over the sleeper forward to hit the head (without hitting their own head). Anyone with experience of both models have thoughts? Thanks.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What the admiral really liked about our boat model was the standing head room all around the aft berth as well as no climbing over others when going to or getting out of berth. Also very spacious with loads of storage. Not that big of a jump from an H38 either.

Unable answer your questions about either model, but on ours plenty of room to sit up while in berth, if so one desires. The only minor drawback is the berth is positioned fore and aft as opposed to athwartship making a lee cloth somewhat difficult to position.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I suspect the Hunter 356/36 and 38 aft cabin beds are similar to the Hunter 386. The bed was large, you could sit up and the aft sleeper could easily crawl over the forward sleeper with care not to hit their head on the ceiling. Really liked the sound of water slapping up against the stern at night.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
We have an H36. One can sit up at the head of the Queen/full sized berth. There is a sheltered hatch above the berth to provide air circulation. The aft most occupant of the berth does need to crawl in and out. There is standing room next to the berth and in front of the locker. There is additional storage aft of the berth (and even under it), and forward of the berth over the engine compartment. We have lived aboard our boat for almost five years .7C40CCB7-4BBA-4480-9C9C-D17559D56B9C.jpeg

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
On our H38 the only standing room in the aft owners cabin is right behind the doors on both sides. The space above the bed is on the SB side, where you can sit upright and have to reach up to get to the handles of the hatch. To get out the second person will have to climb over the other, which is an acrobatic undertaking if you don’t want to disturb the first person sleeping, as the space to the ceiling is limited over the rest of the bed.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
On our H38 the only standing room in the aft owners cabin is right behind the doors on both sides. The space above the bed is on the SB side, where you can sit upright and have to reach up to get to the handles of the hatch. To get out the second person will have to climb over the other, which is an acrobatic undertaking if you don’t want to disturb the first person sleeping, as the space to the ceiling is limited over the rest of the bed.
Fully agree although I do sleep in the aft most space and have found that if I have to get up I move towards the foot of the bed so I can get over my wife’s legs without disturbing her.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Have you looked @ A Catalina 38 or 40? I think they are similar priced depending on year and condition and location. They both have center-line queens with great access.

1609425617032.png

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The aft berth on my H356 was hard to make up because you have to be on it while you make it up. Something you can walk around or mostly around is easier.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
That is also the way I do it, but it remains acrobatic in the dark:cool:
yeah and as I get older and my back gets weaker it’s more of a challenge LOL.
actually my wife makes me put the sheets on the bed. It’s a bit of a gymnastic exercise :)

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Thanks for all the helpful replies. If people have access, I'd be very interested in the measurement in inches from the berth cushions to the cabin top at the lowest point for the 36 and 38. Then I can measure my vertical when prone and figure actual clearance for a crawler.
Thanks again.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks for all the helpful replies. If people have access, I'd be very interested in the measurement in inches from the berth cushions to the cabin top at the lowest point for the 36 and 38. Then I can measure my vertical when prone and figure actual clearance for a crawler.
Thanks again.
sorry it’s winter here and boat is covered and out away for the winter.
If it helps any, I’m 5ft 9 and weigh 180 and have no trouble crawling over my wife and the dog to get out.
Mattress is 5 1/2 inches thick and we have a 3 inch foam topper on it. I’m guessing but I’d say 24 to 30 inches.

Maybe this will help
here are some brochures and information sheets on the boat

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-38
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/H38_MAG_PracSailRvw.pdf

Oct 3, 2022
Hunter H33 2005 Kingston
We're currently the owners of a H33 and are considering moving up to a Hunter 38. I am the one who sleeps aft on our current boat and would really prefer being done with that. I have seen a H38 where the aft berth was made into a King by way of adding filler cushions all around. Has anyone with a H38 given some thought on rearranging the mattress so as to move the berth the other way? I believe the headboard could be repositioned and secured in front of the engine box (there is 23 inches between the bed and the engine box, on paper it looks feasable) and the bed platform extended. Both people would then be able to exit the berth from their respective side. This could be a temporary set up.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
We're currently the owners of a H33 and are considering moving up to a Hunter 38. I am the one who sleeps aft on our current boat and would really prefer being done with that. I have seen a H38 where the aft berth was made into a King by way of adding filler cushions all around. Has anyone with a H38 given some thought on rearranging the mattress so as to move the berth the other way? I believe the headboard could be repositioned and secured in front of the engine box (there is 23 inches between the bed and the engine box, on paper it looks feasable) and the bed platform extended. Both people would then be able to exit the berth from their respective side. This could be a temporary set up.
Interesting concept. Haven't seen anything like it but there are some considerations as you think about this.
- the vent for the aft air conditioner is in the forward facing panel of the berth towards the port side and is right about where this extension you are talking about would go.
- the drive shaft, coupling and stuffing box is right where this extension would go. So you’d be complicating your ability to get to it for inspections or in the event of an emergency.
- the rear of the engine is there and is covered by what amounts to a small vanity counter. It lifts off to access the fuel filter, the built in fire suppression system, the transmission and and any other service points on the back of the engine. Blocking that would complicate access. Checking transmission fluid level would be complicated. Plus the vanity height is much taller than the berth so you’d have to deal with that somehow.
- we frequently use that walk through area and you’d be cutting that off. That means the person sleeping on the port side of the berth would have to go through the head to exit the aft cabin. And the person sleeping on the starboard side would have to go through the galley to access the head.

Not totally related to your topic but I did have a new mattress built to replace the factory original. Had a custom design made. Essentially had the mattress made in two sections with the seam running athwarthship down the middle. The reason was to make it easier to access the air conditioner that is under the bed, to make it easier to access the muffler which is under the bed next to the air conditioner (draining the muffler for winterization was a real pain while trying to balance the mattress on my head). The new mattress has a zipper that runs the full length of the mattress. They sewed a flap on one half of the mattress and it spans the seam / zipper so you can’t feel it when you sleep. Fastens down with Velcro.
To get under now I can open the zipper and put one half on top of the other. Access is much easier.

Oct 3, 2022
Hunter H33 2005 Kingston
the vent for the aft air conditioner is in the forward facing panel of the berth towards the port side and is right about where this extension you are talking about would go.
I was not aware of an A/C Unit there but I did find a diagram in the 2009 Hunter 38 operator's manual (the 2005 H38 version shows some ducts running left and right). I understand what you mean. Since we upgraded the mattress on our H33 by replacing the original with two 30 X 72 RV mattresses, we could just reuse these and have a 12 inches overhang, with some legs (no box so the air would still flow), which would leave 11 inches to move accross. The 2 matresses could be flipped over easily and the overhang with the legs easily moved aside (up?) to access the engine compartment. The idea is really to make this temporary.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I was not aware of an A/C Unit there but I did find a diagram in the 2009 Hunter 38 operator's manual (the 2005 H38 version shows some ducts running left and right). I understand what you mean. Since we upgraded the mattress on our H33 by replacing the original with two 30 X 72 RV mattresses, we could just reuse these and have a 12 inches overhang, with some legs (no box so the air would still flow), which would leave 11 inches to move accross. The 2 matresses could be flipped over easily and the overhang with the legs easily moved aside (up?) to access the engine compartment. The idea is really to make this temporary.
yes the aft air conditioner is located under the berth towards the foot of the bed (starboard side of the boat). The duct work goes port and starboard and exits in the aft side of the hanging lockers on either side of the aft cabin. There is also a duck that exits in the head just under the sink. The control for the aft air conditioner is mounted in the wall of the engine compartment just above the vanity counter I mentioned.

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
I did exactly that with our H38 ... turned an EW queen into a NS king. Created a pedestal and plywood extension of the bunk, then had a 18" mattress made up (full bed width). it was held together by a mattress cover. Access was slowed a bit but carefully screwed together so it could be easily removed.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I suspect the Hunter 356/36 and 38 aft cabin beds are similar to the Hunter 386. The bed was large, you could sit up and the aft sleeper could easily crawl over the forward sleeper with care not to hit their head on the ceiling. Really liked the sound of water slapping up against the stern at night.
indeed. My 38 being my first boat of this type the aft queen was a real selling point

turns out we’re v berth people, it’s much quieter and better ventilation at anchor