Bent Mast, Spring Project

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Got a call from a buddy of mine today, and not a good one! The week before last we had high winds, and a large tree snapped and came down on his mast bending it near the lower spreader mounts. He had this parked in what looked to be the safest place! The boat is a 33' C&C, mast is 49'.5" long, so we'll wait until the spring and haul it out to my shop on my mast trailer. That'll give us time to make the form fitted jig to help keep from crushing the mast when we straighten it.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Brian, never had to deal with a bent mast, but have messed around with aluminum some. If it were my boat I would first talk to the mast maker (if known) and get their ideas on the best way to remove or reduce that bend. Aluminum is tricky to work with; not near as malleable as say SS. Common brands of makers include Charleston Spar, Isomat, etc.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Ouch, sorry to hear about your buddies mast, but I didn't notice any kinks in the bend so with your machine shop you should be able to bring it back into line with the jig. will await the results come spring which won't be here soon enough. Just came in from snowblowing the driveway and part of the street with my friend John Deere. Happy New Year to you and yours from the crew of S/V My Corona.