Beginnings Of Leaking ATF @ Coupling Side Oil Seal

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Placing my finger underneath the transmission near the shaft coupling, I noticed for the first time just a little bit of ATF clinging to the bottom of the transmission. It hasn't started actually dripping yet.

I would expect each case is different. But was wondering if replacing the oil seal is something to be done soon. Or will the drip rate probably stay low for an extended period of future engine hours. Dripping ATF falls into the engine pan and can be absorbed by the oil "diaper".

The engine itself remains totally drip free.

It's a 1979 manufactured Yanmar 2QM20 mated to a KBW10 transmission. Engine use is about 15 minutes out the channel and 15 minutes coming back. 75 through 100 outings per year.

Thanks for your insights/suggestions on this.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Going to likely be a slowly increasing leak.. ATF oil is cheap.. keep some handy and top off as necessary..
Check around the shaft at the seal with a mirror and light.. look for string or other foulant that may be causing the leak..

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Kloudi1: Thanks for the info. Sensible to just monitor. If leaking escalates, keep a quart of ATF on hand to top of if needed. Then to go about the repair.