Bavaria 37 Corrosion of the lower rudder bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jayne vincent

Hello

Has anyone else had any problems with corrosion of the rudder bearing housing. We have recently been in exchanges with Clipper Marine avout corrosion of our bearings that has been happening since the boat was purchased new in 2006.

We've now established that the problem has occurred because the additional anode, purchased when the boat was commissioned from Peters Opal, was not bonded up to the aluminium rudder bearing housing. The picture shows some of the corrosion and it was only a quick decision to lift the baot out of the water to llok at why the rudder was seizing up that prevented a serious incident at sea that a complete seizure could have caused. Bavaria yachts have kindly agreed to supply new bearing parts under warranty but Clipper Marine will not help us out with the repair.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Jul 1, 2009
Bavaria Cruiser 37 Bainbridge Island, WA
Bavaria 37 rudder corrosion

I have a 2006 Bavaria 37 that was inactive in the water for about 18 months. The rudder is completely seized up. Your post presents a likely explanation. Did you resolve your problem?

K

Kenmagnum

Bavaria 37 Rudder Post

I see some Bavaria owners have suffered seized rudders due to corrosion in the rudder post caused by the lack of electrical bonding.

On my 2000 boat the rudder post has not been bonded and during this season I have noticed a slight weep from the area of the post. It has not been sufficiently bad to consider lifting out and there is no seizing or stiffness in the steering. It is however my intention to drop the rudder for a full inspection once the boat is ashore for the winter in a few weeks time.

I guess seeing that the boat has now served us very well for 10 seasons it is now due an inspection of items such as the rudder and keel bolts. Seacocks have already been replaced, using the Blakes variety to the heads.

Has anyone else had experience of the rudder post leaking or drawn a keel bolt to check the possibility of corrosion?

G

I see some Bavaria owners have suffered seized rudders due to corrosion in the rudder post caused by the lack of electrical bonding.

On my 2000 boat the rudder post has not been bonded and during this season I have noticed a slight weep from the area of the post. It has not been sufficiently bad to consider lifting out and there is no seizing or stiffness in the steering. It is however my intention to drop the rudder for a full inspection once the boat is ashore for the winter in a few weeks time.

I guess seeing that the boat has now served us very well for 10 seasons it is now due an inspection of items such as the rudder and keel bolts. Seacocks have already been replaced, using the Blakes variety to the heads.

Has anyone else had experience of the rudder post leaking or drawn a keel bolt to check the possibility of corrosion?
I have just inspected my 03' Cruiser 41 and found the keel bolts are fine just a little surface tea-staining. The local expert suggests a new blob of Sika and torque them up every year (make sure the back stay is loosened right off so the boat is not bent).

The rudder bearings all though slightly gouged/pitted do still fit the rudder stock and housing equally well so I will be giving them another season in service. There did appear to be a fair bit of marine growth around the base of the bearing housing that seems to be the likely cause of the pitting and slight water ingress, I will see how a liberal coating with grease goes over the next 12 months.

Z.

Aug 4, 2010
bavaria 37 cruiser chatham
Bavaria 37 Corrision of lower rudder bearings

Hello

Has anyone else had any problems with corrosion of the rudder bearing housing. We have recently been in exchanges with Clipper Marine avout corrosion of our bearings that has been happening since the boat was purchased new in 2006.

We've now established that the problem has occurred because the additional anode, purchased when the boat was commissioned from Peters Opal, was not bonded up to the aluminium rudder bearing housing. The picture shows some of the corrosion and it was only a quick decision to lift the baot out of the water to llok at why the rudder was seizing up that prevented a serious incident at sea that a complete seizure could have caused. Bavaria yachts have kindly agreed to supply new bearing parts under warranty but Clipper Marine will not help us out with the repair.

Hello,

We are the owners of this yacht and the outcome to the above problem 2 years ago was that Bavaria did supply the new bearings and they were fitted and the engineer bonded all the anodes.

However 2 years later we appear to be back with the same problem. The rudder is gradually seizing up again. We plan to take the boat out of the water again this Monday (9 Aug 2010) and expect to have the same problem.

Obviously this is a very frustrating a costly problem so if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2010
Hunter wanting 25 or 27 it would be Lake Dillon
Yes--- we had problems with the rudder and the steering.....not sure the exact cause...Bavaria 33 .....even with the wheel hard over to port side.....many times the rudder does not respond....then after several minutes....unexpectactly....the boat goes rounds downwind out of control... any thoughts as to the cause?

Feb 5, 2011
Bavaria 38-2004 Subic Bay
Rudder Bearing Seized! Owning a Bavaria 38 (2004)!

Owning a Bavaria 38 (built 2004) and cruising in the Far East as well as South-East-Asia, I had similar problems with the lower rudder bearing. Due to medical reasons I had to leave my yacht for almost one year at the Subic Bay Yacht Club (Philippines), only to find out that the lower rudder bearing was heavily corroded, so that the spherical plastic bearing seized and could not be moved any more. I had to cut out the entire Aluminum Tube and replace it with a plastic tube (including ceramics bearing) purchased in Denmark, which I laminated into the hull by means of epoxy resin.

Hello

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Seized rudder post on a Bavaria 38

I bought the boat when it was 4 yr old in 2004, and apparently it had not been used much. The steering was so stiff that I could hardly turn the wheel during the sea trial. I knew it was not normal and tried various attempts at lubrication in the rudder post tube to free it, but no good. Finally, I had it hauled and got some shipwrights to look at it. They poured a lot of corrosion breaking stuff down the tube and after 4 days of soaking it, hammered the rudder post out through the bottom. The Delrin (doughnut) bearing around the post, which costs a few hundred bucks if replaced, had effectively been squeezed by corrosion deposits forming between the SS post and the Al tube, so as to choke-hold the rudder post so it could not turn freely in the Delrin bearing inside the tube. They cleaned it up, greased it up, put it all back together, and now it's fine. Did not have to purchase a new Delrin bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.