Battery location on Hunter 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
I am interested in moving my batteries to a new location. They are currently over the shaft. Has anyone moved them to another location?

J

Jeff

H31 Battery location

I had two group 27 size batteries over the shaft behind the transmission also. The previous owner had put them there and they didn't fit correctly, weren't fastened down and sitting at odd angles. I think his intentions were good in replacing the smaller group 24 batteries to the larger batteries, but they just didn't fit right. When I got the boat I found out that the water heater was bad and the diesel tank was contaminated so I pulled the water heater and the diesel tank out through the sink cabinet and made a new plywood floor for the cabinet that also runs through for the water heater. It turns out that the space for the water heater is perfect for two group 27 batteries in the plastic battery boxes. It's fairly low in the hull and a little farther forward. I think that instead of putting a hot water heater back in, I'm looking at the "instant" hot water heaters. It will be cheaper then the water heater and save weight. I just won't be able to heat water through the exchanger with the diesel out at anchor. I don't care about heating water away from the dock anyway. As for the diesel tank, I put in a 3 gal. portable tank in the aft lazerette and have a spare 2 gal can for spare fuel and to fetch more fuel. I then re-routed the water tank filler hose where the diesel fill was. Since I took out the water heater, the 18 gal. diesel tank all the way aft and relocated the batteries, the stern sits higher in the water and is balanced. I can actually hear the water coming out of the exhaust now when I run the diesel.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Fond du Lac WI
Batteries vs Storage

It's always a problem, no? More power on smaller boats. I put my batteries under the seating on the port side. Two house and one starting. Works well and seems to balance the boat well.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
Reason for moving

I'll try again. I answered this once but it disappeared. I reinforced the platform the batteries were sitting on because it wasn't very strong. This made the battery boxes too tall for the compartment. I was thinking of putting them in the port side compartment forward of the water tank.

M

Margaritaville

I would go back

Rip I think I would go back and re-think the original spot for the batteries. I re-did mine with some 1/2inch star board. I put supports on 3 sides of the box and supports underneath the shelf where the batteries sit. I have 2 group 27 batteries there. I put my 3rd on in the locker you mentioned just forward of the water tank. I poured some Epoxy in there and let is setup its own level. Just as it started to get hard I inserted two footmans loops with anchors into the epoxy for my straps. I works great but ther is really only room for one battery. Since the battery is so far from the engine and battery switch I had to run 2gauge wire so there wasn't a current drop. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.