Battery charging by outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol 27 Alaska
I have minimal electrical needs on my boat. GPS, VHF Radio, Depth Sounder, run when cruising by sail or motor. At night at anchor, power needs are the Stereo, an anchor light or the VHF to check weather. My iron sail (a honda 15) can be hooked up to the battery to charge around 5 to 6 amps. I have two series 24 marine batteries and a battery switch. I want to be able to apply a bit of charge from the Honda to either battery and I want control of which one is being charged. (FYI, I have a shore power charger when in the slip to "top" things off before settin out but I know how to hook that up). My question. Can I just hook up the positive lead from the motor to the positive output terminal of the battery switch so as to control which battery is recieving the charge? Tanks in advance!

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Battery selection

If you have a selector switch, that would work. Don't forget the ground. I always run my boat at all times on #2, which is 2 105AH deep cycles. I use #1 only for starting the engine.

K

Karl

Battery Secection

Your battery switch should be the answer as to wich battery gets charged. Don't change positions with the motor running as you could burn out the little charging coil in the honda. Aslo, If you leave the switch in the both position the weakest battery will get the charge as that is the battery with the least internal resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.