ballast tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
so kind of curious about the ballast on my 1981 28foot Lancer. are these tanks optional to have filled or empty? What tanks do the sinks in the cabin pull from. I know I have one option to pull from the cooler then there is another option that I can use to pull from the tanks, the question is where are they located and how the heck to I fill them up? When I first got the boat there was some nasty water in the tanks and so I emptied the tanks through the sinks to get the smell out. well nowwww I have no ballast it seems and my boat just rocks so dang hard...any info is appreciated.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The tanks aren't ballast tanks. The L 28 has ballast in the keel. She has a shallow keel though, and a little extra from having the water tank full won't hurt. I had a 25 not a 28, but they are similar design.

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
The water tank is fiber glassed in forward of the head bulk head in my boat, or under the v-birth in the other model. The ice chest is below the water line in my boat so when I opened the sea cock it would flood with sea water. I added a T and valve to the sink drain. I drain the ice when the boat is on the trailer or I pump it out. I slowed the rocking when anchored by using ROCKER-STOPERS. It’s a plastic mushroom shaped device that you can buy at the boat shore they come in a pack of 5 or 6. I have 5 on a rope about 1 foot apart and a 5lb weight on the bottom. I hang the Rocker-Stoper line in the water and tie it to the winch. This set-up works the best for me. I sail in so. Calif.

Status
Not open for further replies.