backstay problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoduz

Oct 11, 2005
- - chicago
I have a 1988 Catalina 30 tall rig, and have some concerns about the backstay configuration. It seems that the backstay is attached to a bridle which is in turn, attached to the transom with two shackles. The point at which the backstay attaches to the bridle is exaxtly at the height of my head when standing at the helm. I have lost a couple of hats, and am at the point of intolerance, since any backstay adjustment only brings the height of the junction lower - annoying me further. Can the backstay be shortened, and to what length?? The bridle would then also need to be LENGTHENED, and I am concerned about how much. Is there a do-it-yourself package readily available, or what would the proper lengths of the backstay and bridle be?? Sounds like simple geometry, but it gets complicated by the forwrd axis of the entire stay.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Lighthouse point Fl.
Back stay

I have an 88 tall rig and the top of the bridle is aprox 85" above the cockpit floor. Unless you are 7' tall, something is not right with your setup. You can find the correct deminsions in the Catalina website, and any rigger can easily refit. The split backstay is a pain to deal with for comfortable seating, but all boats with no lazerate have the problem. Good saiking Ron B

Status
Not open for further replies.