• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Awful!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have the weekend off. First time in four weeks.

Windy is showing a 1 mph "breeze" with a temp. of 97F.:mad:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Could be worse... I pulled my holding tank out today to reset the fittings (1 was weeping a bit). :poop:

30 years of stuff in the tank (actually not too bad) and 30 years of dust, dirt, crud under and around the tank once I got it out...fittings will be remounted tonight, will paint under the tank tomorrow, and tank will be back in on Wednesday hopefully.

You must have some boat projects to do...

I have been meaning to get to the tank for a week or 2, but every time I got out to the marina, the winds were favorable and I said...sail today, projects tomorrow. Tomorrow finally came. :(

Hope things cool down and the winds pick up for you.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Pulling the holding tank in 97 degrees with 1 mph wind is like the worst -squared. Holding tank issues are best treated in March and if the contents are frozen all the better. A tip for those inclined to do this: Go to box store and buy a lot of diapers. Distribute them downhill from any potential leaks. Not perfect but it is seriously upsetting to see a stream of liquid poo running for the bilge.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds to late to ask, but could you not have emptied the tank before you attempted to remove the tank.

Sorry to hear about your poo poo experience. Does not sound like my idea of fun at any time.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Pulled my tank after hauling out 2 yrs ago.. Needed to have our septic tank pumped so positioned the holding tank over the septic tank clean out. Released the residual contents and then flushed the tank until odors and water ran clear. Re-installed the tank in the spring with an isolating PVC gate valve. A PVC union joint connects the macerator. Should the macerator fail, it's an easy swap out..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sounds to late to ask, but could you not have emptied the tank before you attempted to remove the tank.

Sorry to hear about your poo poo experience. Does not sound like my idea of fun at any time.
Tank is empty. It wasn’t too bad really.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
This is the worst time of year to love sailing in the southeast US.

I guess a watched pot never boils
IMG_20190818_114024.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Swivel stick is a pretty neat item. It would be an idea that could be adapted to a fuel pump - fuel hose - setup to spray fuel around your diesel tank to dislodge the biologics growing in the corners, so they can be sucked out.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Those are the days we are happy for a 86 lbs thrust, 24 volt tolling motor. You can ghost along in complete silence, same as you do when you sail. Not quite as good as sailing, but at least your not sitting in the middle of the lake doing nothing.
Incidentally, "I Boated" ... Are you sure about that??

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I installed a remote tank rinse system in my rv tank it looked like a small lawn sprinkler. Worked well but I can't seem to find one to install on my boat tank

Last edited: