auto tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
Just wondering how many Simrad TP10 auto tillers there are out there? Just got one second hand. Steers a great straight course. The problem is the tacking function. Whenever I give the command whhheeeee.....the helm goes hard over and stays there. Not so much freaking fun when you are single handing....which is what I do...except for the dog.....who isn't much help when the simrad is spinning the boat at flank speed. Have tried to talk with the manufacturer, but even though I am dutch by injection....I can't understand the language. :{ Anybody have any suggestions or help? Hope the sailing season is going well for all.

J

JB

I just posted questions regarding Auto tillers. I'm trying to decide on one for my Cal34. What type and size boat do you have? Is the operating arm in the way when it's on the high side of the boat? I've been looking at Raymarine with the remote.

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
1980 ODay 25 with a 9.9 kicker mounted on port. So I mounted the AT on Starboard. Kind of screws up access to the swim ladder and cockpit beer cooler. But I don't figure to be using the swim ladder while the AT is doing its job and I like warm beer. As I read the instructions for TP10, it attaches to the tiller 18" from the pivot, so it really isn't the way anymore than the tiller would normally be. Have not tested it in heavy weather yet, but have the feeling that I should probably stow it, being the spaz I am. I had to get the control arm extension - 11", so I could mount the outboard end up on the gunall to keep the unit level. Gouged me good for that probably should have had a local machinist make me one. Anyway, if need be the unit pops off the filler and the outboard plat pretty easy if need be. I think I am going to have to get a new battery though. I was out on the lake about 3 hours Sunday in pretty smooth seas and wind 5-10 and it drained the battery. Had to crank up the 9.9 to get her going again. 50 bucks here 50 bucks there and all of a sudden the 150 dollar friend has cost me 250, so far. But I guess that's not really fair, I probably should have a new battery anyway. Just can't seem to make them last more than a couple years. Anyway, pretty happy with my new buddy, but wish I could teach him to tack the boat without going through a 360. Good luck with yours. Your going to love it if you do a lot of single handing. Where do you sail?

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
more on auto tiller

Forgot to add. While I was on my test run Sunday, quite a few times while I was out there, I said to myself....sure would be nice to have a remote. But then again, knowing how I operate, that would probably be at the bottom of the lake by now. Think I would really have to velcro it to my butt pretty tight to keep it out of the drink.

Ed6905

Jun 3, 2004
Oday Rhodes-19 Polk City, IA
The people in Washington state?

I called their 800 number in Washington state and the tech I spoke with had good American and was very helpful.

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
Ed, Washington state? I was under the impression that simrad had been bought by a dutch outfit. Not sure I have the 800 #. Sure wish I had it. Thanks. Buckshot

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 27 Stockton CA
Simrad address in Washington

from the Simrad USA website. I have a Navico 5500 (Simrad bought Navico), and sent it to their repair facility in Lynwood. They were very quick and fixed the problem. Their techs on the phone were easy to work with too. Simrad USA 19210-33rd Ave W. Suite A Lynnwood, Wa 98036 Tel: 425-778-8821 Fax: 425-771-7211

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
auto pilot

Ed, Peter, Ellis, Thanks for the help. Will give them a call. Really appreciate the helping hand. Sail fast....live slow Buckshot

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Autopilot Manufacturers

There's a pretty complete list (/w links) of Autopilot Manufacturers at (sixth post down): http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1872

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
auto tiller :)

Well boys and girls, the tp10 is humming along nicely. The solution to the problem was the same as most solutions to boating problems. Throw more $$$$$ at it. Checked my battery and it was six years young.....that is probably a record for me as far as age of a battery. Anyway, got a nice new deep deep cycle and wouldn't ya know the tp10 was happy as a lark. Holding a great course, tacking as if it knew what I wanted it to do.....life is good :D !!!!! Sit'n on the bow with the dog suck'n suds......... Near as I can figure when I gave the command to tack the old battery had enough ars to throw the tiller hard over, but not enough to bring it back. I think the tp has a safety feature that doesn't allow it to completely drain the juice out of old chunks of lead. When it trips the safety switch it goes into standby mode at whatever angle it is setting at the time. WEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Round and round and round we go. Thanks again for the help. PS I did email the simrad people and April got back to me inside of 24hrs. Nice!!! As it turned out, didn't need her help, but nice to know they care. Sail fast....live slow. Buckshot

Status
Not open for further replies.