Are you a racer or a cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOW Editorial

Do you consider yourself a racer or a cruiser? Have you tossed out the oven to save a few pounds in your next club race, or do you scoff at racers as you motor past? Do you use your boat for both purposes, or are you still a racing virgin? Share your opinion, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

R

Ron B

RaceCruise

I don't enjoy racing my boat other than the normal impromptu (sp)? racing that happens anytime two or more sailboats are going the same direction. I crewed on someone elses a few times. It was a very successful boat but I decided that I could get yelled at at home.

B

Bob England

Too much stress

Before I owned my own boat, I crewed on races for several skippers. I found all the panic and shouting too much hassle. Also, there were the protests and collisions, rare lawsuits, etc. Seems to me most racers put on the engine, motor out to the racecourse, do the race, and put the motor back on when the race is over. Not my idea of sailing. I'd rather get out of site of land in the middle of Lake Ontario, and feel like I've done battle with nature.

J

Jack Laird

Very quiet on my boat

The wife club races with me on Wed. nights. Its the only time I can keep her real quiet. Insists that I not move and trim, trim, trim.

J

Jim Randall

Brits Race to the Bar

In the UK we Race every weekend - we race to the Bar - the Yacht club Bar - otherwise its all cruising........

J

Jim Kolstoe

Done both

We bought our boat to cruise, and I crewed on other boats to learn to sail better. We've raced our boat and had a good time, but . . . time is the issue. Its hard enough to get out to the boat in the last few years (actually, soccer seasons), let alone make it for races. If you approach club racing with a relaxed attitude, you'll have a good time on the water, socializing on shore, and be a better sailor for your cruising time. As far as yelling, I once told (ok, growled at) the skipper/owner of a S-20 I was on that if he did not stop yelling, he was going to swim back to shore. We got along great after that. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

R

Rod Leonard

Oh to Race

Yes I'm a racer! Don't worry about the oven need to feed the crew well. But, DEAR why do we need this toliet paper on the cruiser and can't we get rid of this make up kit. Please pass the skipper another bottle of wine.

C

C. Caddell

racing is not for everyone...

I enjoy both racing and cruising. My wife on the other hand, does not like to race, which is OK. I have crewed on the same 35 footer in the spinnaker fleet for 14 years, and yes, there have been times when yelling occurred, but we all want to win and we stay friends. I've raced my own boat many times in non-spin, and it is probably the best way to improve your sailing skills. I tend to enter the less intense races that are run by the "friendlier" clubs who have an interest in promoting the enjoyment of racing. We often have socials or raft-ups afterwards. As for cruising, we attach the grill to the stern rail, throw the dog on board. stock the icebox and head out for the islands and great times.

T

Temerity II

No Harm

Having roadraced motorcycles I wanted to cruise in sedate style when I gave up the racing game. But when it comes to getting to a crowded anchorage last there is no harm in having a fast boat to beat the crowd. Some racing experience helps one learn proper sail trim and tacking tricks. Racing experience is not necessary but potentially helpful leading to a more comfortable and suitable anchorage.

D

Dick Vance

Honey Bear's Two Faces

Honey Bear, my '85 25.5, likes the challenge, competition and teamwork of club racing in the Spring and Fall when winds are best on our lake. When the water warms up and winds die down she slips into a more placid mood as a floating minibago, swim platform for splashing kids and as daysailor. When burdened with extra anchors, BBQ grills and festooned with drying towels and water toys, she is like a warhorse hitched to a plow, just waiting to shed the extra pounds and charge at the starting gun! Her racing wardrobe includes brightly colored spinnakers which are seldom worn as playboat attire. I race and cruise. Honey Bear appreciates being able to use all her talents as a fast racer/cruiser; the kind of boat seldom built anymore!! Dick Vance

J

John Lemke

Time

We race,mostly short handed and point to point, but with an agreed "drop dead" time. We turn on the engine and dnf when the GPS shows that we will need our best motoring speed to get to the bar before last call. Racing is just an organized cruise to a new place to party.

S

Scott

Racing improves skills

We started club racing (phrf) last fall and were constantly treated to a wonderful view of the fleet - in front of us! Slowly we improved and this spring are now running mid pack. Before racing we would be content to just set the sails so that they were not flapping and we were moving along. To be competitive we have forced ourselves to understand more about sail trim. We are still primary cruisers and don't think we will ever run with the big dogs. Our boat is fully geared out for cruising carrying a lot of extra weight. I still don't understand our PHRF rating at 153 with a 110 jib, shoal keel, fixed 2 blade - and our nemisis is a newer catalina 36 with 135 jib, wing keel etc is rated at 159. That means that this weekend on our offshore Florida-Georgia race we need to beat them by over 3 mins! Tough, but thats our goal. Last Sunday we had our most fun race to date. Controlled our pre-start manuvering and crossed the start line right at the horn. Made a few extra tacks to get clear air and made up ground on several boats. Ran 2 boats down on the last leg. Finished nose to nose with one and our nemisis only beat us by 1/2 a length. Came away with a 5th on corrected time. Our new 'Kamakazi' headbands really help! Scott 83-H34 Island Hops PS. A Kiwi will beat a Brit (or any other nationality) to the bar every time! Thats why we kept the cup!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 5/15/2000: Do you race and/or cruise your boat? 64% Mostly cruise (236) 22% Have never raced (82) 08% Do both equally (31) 01% Mostly race (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.