anyone into wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
thinking of switching my aged #1052 from tiller to wheel. has anyone gone through the transition? looking for pro's and con's. looking for information about trying to do it myself - how tough is it, how expensive, how involved? anything would be appreciated.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Savannah, GA
Edson Wheel Steering for C-27

Edson makes a great system for Catalinas, including the C-27. Go to http://www.edsonmarine.com/faq/wheel_conversions.html for all info. We've had their system on our 1979 C-30 for almost 25 years with absolutely zero problems other than normal periodic maintenance. With the boat out of the water, you and a helper (assuming pretty good general mechanical skills and proper tools) should be able to do the complete job in a day. They have specific detailed conversion drawings and instructions for the C-27 and will send them for free. Best regards, B.V. COOPER

botez

Feb 23, 2004
Catalina 27 babylon New York
Edson is the way to go!

Joe, I did the conversion a few years ago and am extremely happy with it. I would never go back to a tiller. I use my boat mainly for light club racing and find the wheel to be an advantage. If you would like to see the installation let me know........ Regards, Frank Davanzo

Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
how long

do you recall how long it took, how many hands were required, from one to ten (ten being the most) how difficult was the job, and roughly how much did it cost? other than the wheel and pedestal, what other accessories did you get - binnacle, grab rail, pedestal mounted engine controls, etc?

botez

Feb 23, 2004
Catalina 27 babylon New York
not too bad.

Joe, It took me a few afternoons. I did the job entirely myself. The only part of the installation that requires the boat to be out off the water is the installation of the rudder post stuffing box. I did this part over the winter when she was on the hard. The rest I did once she was back in the water. The "Basic kit" price was probably around $1500.00 I then added a pedestal guard, nav pod instrument housings, compass and finally edson engine controls. I would estimate the total cost minus electronics to be somewhere around $2500. without any labor cost. It's definitely a 7 on the difficulty scale from 1 to 10. Obviously that all depends upon how mechanically inclined you are. If you have an inboard engine, it's pretty tight working through the access panels but it's definitely able to be done. I'm not sure what is different on an outboard model. If you would like to check mine out, even sail her before you do your conversion, you're welcome to come on over.

May 23, 2004
Catalina 30 Stockton, CA
Why?

You might want to reconsider. The C-27 sails best with a tiller. With a wheel you will lose feel and responsiveness. I recall reading a very early review of the C-30 and the review commented that the boat was too small for a wheel. I realize that the tiller takes up room as it sweeps across the cockpit, but don't underestimate how much a pedestal and wheel will take up room. At anchor it cuts down your usuable cockpit space by a third. With a tiller you just lift it up out of the way. Also, if your boat has end-boom sheeting, you'll have to convert to mid-boom sheeting as well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not

No boat sails any better or any worse with a wheel or a stick. It's the skipper.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Navarre Beach, Fl
love my wheel

Im on my 5th boat and all had tillers except my present. two favorite things about the wheel is standing behind it to see out and I find backing is much easier with a wheel. one consideration, for a $2500 investment would it make sense to trade up to a boat that already has a wheel? food for thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.