Deck

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Ours is. 2008 but same boat.
We have a Walker Bay inflatable with high pressure floor. About 9 feet.
I was more interested in weight and easy of handling with this dinghy. Previous one was too dang heavy.
I power it with a 4 hp evinrude. With me alone will make the dinghy plane. With two people it pushes it just fine.

We have carried it on the foredeck. Upside down with tubes facing aft and straddling the mast. I really don’t like it there. Gets in the way when docking as we travel. Have also carried it deflated and folded. It fits neatly on the swim platform between the stern lockers. Downsides with this location are, you have to inflate to use it, and it gets in the way of lowering the helmsman seat and accessing the stern lockers. But secured it rides nicely there.

Have thought about Davits but for how much we use it, I hate to spent that much money.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thank you for the response! I had no idea that it was going to be difficult figuring out how to mount the engine when not on the dinghy. We are looking at a 9.6 Highfield. They recommend a 15hp engine. With that said I'm having difficulties figuring out where to mount the engine. I know a 4hp would fit just fine at the stern where you can sit. But a 15hp not so sure as it's 113 pounds. Even then you have to figure out how to hoist it up from the dinghy.
My 4 does fit on the outboard bracket on the port side stern seat. And I can lift it easily off the dinghy.
The size you are talking about is substantially heavier. I’d be concerned about that weight having off the stern seat framework without some substantial reinforcement.