Any New Englanders With Shrink Wrap Gun? Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I'm looking to contribute some money to anyone around New England who would let me borrow their shrink wrap gun?

Also, anyone know any alternatives besides shrink wrap of keeping snow out of the cockpit?

I'm worried that enough snow will get in my cockpit that the back of my boat will hit the ground (trailer isn't very well balanced).
Thanks!

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
While I was out there, I snapped this pic. This is a roller thingy used to allow wood to remain level off the table saw. Like 20 bucks if I recall from Home Depot. Just an added measure when sitting on trailer.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Doc_holiday said:
While I was out there, I snapped this pic. This is a roller thingy used to allow wood to remain level off the table saw. Like 20 bucks if I recall from Home Depot. Just an added measure when sitting on trailer.
Brilliant! Doc you just saved me a lot of time, money, and agravation.

Nevermind the shrink wrap.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Just be sure to make sure aft end is low enough to drain cockpit and keep drain clear. I know some folks roll up a screen into a tube as a strainer and stick it in the drain to keep leaves and crap out of the drain. That's on my list this week too

Of course this is in my yard, might get swiped at a marina

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Good, thick tarp? And some PVC pipes. That's what I use. :D

I'm looking to contribute some money to anyone around New England who would let me borrow their shrink wrap gun?

Also, anyone know any alternatives besides shrink wrap of keeping snow out of the cockpit?

I'm worried that enough snow will get in my cockpit that the back of my boat will hit the ground (trailer isn't very well balanced).
Thanks!

dawg2

Jun 25, 2012
Mac Gregor 26D GA
I use a big foam archery target stuffed under the boat. But you can use jacks or a modified sawhorse.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
It is my understanding the practice of shrink wrapping a boat is not such a good idea. This air tight package, can do more damage to the wood and such inside the boat than a little snow in the cockpit.

When I had to leave the boat outside I covered the whole thing with a plastic canvas. With the mast in its traveling position, I placed the plastic over the mast and tied the sides together under the boat. I then tied the ends together to keep the snow out. Since it was loose there was plenty of air movement through the boat to prevent mildew, rot, and other nasty things.

Also, however you cover the boat, make sure the boat is positioned so the water can drain from the cockpit. It helps also to put something in the bottom of the cockpit so the expanding ice does not, break the fiberglass sides.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I have seen guys put a jack stand under the back of the trailer. I leave mine the way it is. I do put a chunk of rolled up window screen in the drain hole. Roll it like a cigarette. It lets leaves build up and allows the water to drain too.
As for a shrink wrap gun. Maybe try a weed torch. It's what I would use. Just don't hold it in one spot long. Keep it moving.
I've used one of these to burn cobwebs and fir and feathers off the inside of a barn. All very flammable but it can be done without burning the things you don.t want to.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
It helps also to put something in the bottom of the cockpit so the expanding ice does not, break the fiberglass sides.
Do you mean you tarp over the cockpit? What do you put on the bottom of the cockpit and how does that stop ice from forming there?

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
****************Do you mean you tarp over the cockpit?

Yes, but I covered the total boat from bow to stern. The plastic tarp like they use in construction projects is tough and can withstand a lot. It is also inexpensive, (At least it was) Basically wrap the whole boat, but allowing air to circulate.

Doing this way not only keeps the snow out of the cockpit but reduces the total snow load on the boat, Cockpit, cabin, and foredeck.

****************What do you put on the bottom of the cockpit and how does that stop ice from forming there?

No!
While theoretically water should drain out if the boat is tilted correctly. In practice, water does get into the cockpit. It may start with a couple of milliliters, but then it freezes and more collects, that freezes, etc until there is water in the cockpit which becomes one chunk of ice.

You want something in the cockpit to take up the horizontal expansion, or to divert it up. foam, etc This depends on the angle of the sides of the cockpit, what method you use. If you put something in there that is at an angle when the ice expands it will raise up the angle. sort of like the earth's plates sliding over each other.

Sep 4, 2010
MacGregor Venture 25 Ocean Grove, Swansea MA
To support the back of the trailer, I put a block under the last trailer crossmember (just a 8 x 8 cement block, with a 2x10 on top), then jack the front of the trailer up until it makes contact. I do this any time I need to be on the boat when it is not connected to a vehicle (before I built my hitch extension, it would flip up when I was working all the way in the back of the boat - thrilling!)

For the winter, I build a frame running the length of the boat, and drape tarps over it. I build and cover it in such a way so I can continue to work on the boat even when it's covered (I lace up the 'flap' along the stern, and untie it when I want to go aboard). This has the added benefit of keeping the interior of the boat about ten degrees warmer than the surrounding air, because it acts a bit like a greenhouse. It also allows me to open the hatches, to allow the air to flow through the boat. It does cost a bit more than just throwing a tarp over the cockpit, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.