Any Lancer 38/40 CC Owners Here?

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer 40 & Catalina 30/309 Galveston, TX / Kingston, OK
I recently purchased an '82 Lancer 38/40 CC and I'm int he process of fixing various things. Just wondered if anyone here had one I could compare notes with.
Thanks,
Julian

Dec 10, 2014
Lancer 40 Catalina 27 Secret Cove, BC
hi - I just got one too a Lancer 40 - did you get any info ?
I am seeking a users manual
also ..stupid question I bet but if I loosen the nut below the ships wheel can I adjust the height ? my previous owner never did !

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Hi Lancerboy,
Congratulations on your new boat! I think you will love it. Mine is solid as a rock and sails great. We are in the middle of a blue water refit and hope to cross the Gulf from Galveston to Cozumel this spring or early summer.
I just uploaded a copy of the original brochure to the knowledge base. It may take a while for the administrator to add it since it was an oversized document, but keep an eye there and it should eventually show up.
I'm not sure what nut your talking about on your wheel. Mine has an Edson pedestal and cable steering which would not allow any adjustment in wheel height. Let me know what you find on yours.

Dec 10, 2014
great - thanks so much for your reply and look forward to seeing the brochure. maybe you can also mail me it at samdurrant@gmail.com

I am delighted with the boat and even more so after getting your positive email wish I knew a little more of the history - the previous owner does not seem to know very much about the boat at all. I am keen to know what is involved in your refit. I used to vacation for kite surfing in Port Aransas all the time so know you get great winds down there !

with the wheel it is impossible to move around cockpit sitting down as the wheel is so low - your knees cant squeeze under it - is yours the same ? it would appear to be too low for me ? there is a hexagonal nut on the centre of the Edson pedestal that appear to have been undone quite often as there are abrasion marks but prev owner said he never touched it.

I contacted http://www.miamisailing.net/your_charter_vessel/

who also have same boat and will forward our email string as it may help you with some info from them.

I would be delighted to share photos with you if you have any of yours that you can share - it may give us each some tips.

thanks again and lets stay in touch

Sam

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Hi Sam,

Yes the wheel is a little difficult to get around. I normally just step up on the seat and walk around that way. The center nut would allow you to pull the wheel off, but I don't believe you will be able to make any up or down adjustment. You might look into a folding wheel like this one. http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2331321|2331322|2331331&id=188233

Yes, please send the email string with Miami Sailing.

My refit is pretty extensive but maybe I can just share a little at a time. I started with the electrical system. (3) new Group 27 lead acid batteries and trays in starboard storage of aft berth, (1) Gel Cell starting battery there too. Installed Xantrex Freedom 30 charger/inverter under the aft berth. All new isolation switches, fuses, shunt, terminal blocks, conductors, and terminations for the battery system. I have LINK battery monitor I'm yet to wire from the inverter to the Nav station.

Next was refurbishing the sails. Sent them to SailCare and had them cleaned, and recoated. Had them convert the main to loose foot and replaced the Sunbrella on the Genoa. I still need to make a new stack pack, dodger and bimini.

New Mantus 65lb anchor on the bow with Lewmar Profish 1000 windlass. This anchor works great!

Presently I'm refitting the standing and running rigging. Going with a Selden genoa furler. One thing I ran into that you might be able to help me with, is the split backstay turnbuckles are in conflict with the lower rail of the stern pulpit. The turnbuckles rest against the rail and the bridle is slightly deflected. Are your bridle turnbuckles the same? The chainplates on mine are straight and have no bend on the end to align with the angle of the bridle. Are your chainplates straight also? I am debating whether to remove the chainplates and have them bent, or simply put some fiberglass blocks under the pulpit feet to raise it a half inch.

Dec 10, 2014
thanks for all the information - sounds like an extensive re-fit. I am hoping not to have to do too much refit as we don't have the budget right now and are sailing in mainly protected waters in the immediate future - a sail to Alaska is the dream and even then mostly protected waters.

I will be at the boat at the weekend and will take photos to help with your queries

lets stay in touch!