Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2011
Macgregor 26x Traverse City, MI
Hey everyone, I'm new to here as a member but have browsed and read many posts over the last few months. I'm in the process of buying my first boat!!! Its a 2000 26x with a 50hp yamaha, roller furling head sail, and thats about it. I'll be picking it up the 24th and hopefully have it out the 25th for a few days before I have to pack it up for the winter. My work gives me a week off every 2 weeks so theres plenty of sailing to come next year! I look forward to chatting with everyone.

*Dusty*

Oct 15, 2010
Welcome to the group Dusty. My wife and I bought or 26S about 2 months ago. We have had a blast on it during 2 trips. My job also gives me 5 days off every 3rd week. We spent the time off on our boat. There are lots of good info on this site and great people to help along the way.

Oct 15, 2011
Welcome to the group Dusty. My wife and I bought or 26S about 2 months ago. We have had a blast on it during 2 trips. My job also gives me 5 days off every 3rd week. We spent the time off on our boat. There are lots of good info on this site and great people to help along the way.
Thats excellent! I definitly look forward to lots of boating trips for the upcoming year as my skills progress. Where do you primarily go while on your boat? I've definitly enjoyed all the info on this forum, and even have the mobile app for on the go dreaming, errr I mean reading :)

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Welcome to the forum. Let us know how the buying process goes as I am looking also. You must be deep into fall colors and cooler weather about now. (just moved from your area). Good luck!!

Oct 15, 2011
06HARLEYULTRA said:
Welcome to the forum. Let us know how the buying process goes as I am looking also. You must be deep into fall colors and cooler weather about now. (just moved from your area). Good luck!!
Fortunately I am buying from a wonderful elderly couple that didn't use the boat much but took great care of it. It wasn't ever left in the water, so that is even better.
The buying process had been really smooth, and all that is left is picking up the boat monday and signing sone papers, registration etc.
The colors are amazing here in pennsylvania (where I work) but I'm exited to get out and view out from the waters of Michigan! Did you move from Michigan?

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
The colors are amazing here in pennsylvania (where I work) but I'm exited to get out and view out from the waters of Michigan! Did you move from Michigan?[/quote]

I lived in Michigan (Detroit/Livonia/Farmington Hills) for 40 years. We had a great opportunity to move to SC and took the plunge. This is our first "winter" away...LOL
Again, congrats on the boat. Hope to hear more from ya. :)

Rich

Oct 15, 2010
Where do you primarily go while on your boat? I've definitly enjoyed all the info on this forum, and even have the mobile app for on the go dreaming, errr I mean reading :)

We have sailed on Lake Hartwell and Lake Murray here in S.C. We are going to the Lake Murray Sailing Club this next weekend to look over the club.

Oct 15, 2011
Good luck looking over the sailing club...does being in S.C. Give you year round sailing?
I am so excited to pick up the boat monday! Ive purchased a large 25 pound box anchor to hold me steady while out this coming week to go along with the danforth its got on it. Ill get some nice photos and post them up. Cheers!

Oct 15, 2011
A box anchor is also called a slide anchor...I think I read about it on someones personal travel page. The website is www.slideanchor.com
It suposebly sets within 1 foot, and just rolls and resets if theres a wind shift. Sounded good so I ordered one for my primary. Hope out works like they say, because being new to all this I want to be drifting to sleep, not while I sleep : p

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Hope I don't sound too negative, but I don't think I would feel good about that anchor. It seems that it isn't marketed towards sailboats for one, but it is just a little too unconventional for me. Have you found people with sailboats making favorable comments about them?

We anchor every night and like you want to be in the same place come morning regardless of the conditions and our S doesn't have quite the free-board that your X does so should be a little easier to anchor.

We now use a 25 lb. Manson Supreme with 30 feet of chain and 200 nylon line. We also used a 22 lb. claw with the same rode and with no problems and still use that anchor...

....when we want to put two....

...anchors down.

If you use that anchor get back to us on how it worked,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I've been trying to find time to research these more. I must admit, the one I've seen didn't make me think I'd want it in big wind. However, the local Port Police boat skip recommended it highly for mud/silt. So, I guess I need to be convinced. However, he did say to get the stainless one, FYI.

Jeff

Oct 15, 2011
Jeff, I didnt buy the Stainless beause I dont have $400+ to spend on one anchor, the cost for the 25 pounder was almost $200, and I still need to get a good bit of road for it. After being in West Marine today I'm starting to realize that EVERYTHING for boats is expensive.

Wow Sum! I really like your anchor setup! I can't honestly say I know the difference between how anchors hold yet because this is my first boat, and first anchor. I'll definitly let everyone know what I think about it after anchoring with it for a couple days. Its mostly going to be a sandy/silty bottom where I'm at. I definitly don't think your being negative about it, you just have way more experience than me with all this :)

In other updates, I stopped to see the boat today, climb around on it and get to know it a bit better today on my way back from PA....there is an issue with the motor that may hold me up from getting out tuesday or even later. The seller said the bottom carb's float is stuck, so its flooding the engine and running crappy. It wouldnt even start while I was there...:confused:
I can take it apart and clean the carb...except I dont have a new gasket set, and none of the places I called had them either. I'm thinking my best bet is to bring it to a marina or a garage and hope to get it sorted quickly.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
You might just try tapping on the carb while pumping on the fuel bulb and see if that will loosen the float.

Use the handle of a screwdriver for tapping.

Oct 15, 2010
Good luck looking over the sailing club...does being in S.C. Give you year round sailing?
I am so excited to pick up the boat monday! Ive purchased a large 25 pound box anchor to hold me steady while out this coming week to go along with the danforth its got on it. Ill get some nice photos and post them up. Cheers!
Well I guess you could if you dont mind the cold, but the wife and I enjoy our comfort. We probly will only sail during nice weather. I dont think the Lakes will freeze over here but they might get ice around the edges for a day or two if it gets really cold. Most likely we will sail from march -november.

Oct 15, 2011
timebandit said:
You might just try tapping on the carb while pumping on the fuel bulb and see if that will loosen the float.

Use the handle of a screwdriver for tapping.
That sounds like a better idea than just tearing it apart but I am still hoping all that jostling around on the 4.5 hour trip home might help too :)

Oct 15, 2011
the jostling around on the trip home did not loosen the stuck float, I attempted to fire up the engine but no luck, so I took it to my local boat repair shop in hopes that he can get it running so I can get out on the water while I'm still home.
I decided on indoor storage as well, that way I can access the boat during the winter if I miss it :) or for projects

Oct 15, 2011
Lee Coller said:
These guys claim the box anchor only requires 2-1 scope and no chain (http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688). Don't believe that.

West Marine sells the 25lb anchor for $179, for another 70 bucks you can get a 25lb Manson Supreme, a highly rated anchor that sets quickly.
Ill give this one a try since it is in the back of my truck right now... I'm sure there will be its own pros and cons to this one. I didn't buy anychain chain but I got 200 feet of road. I was thinking with an oversized anchor I might not need chain?
on a positive note I have the four carburetor rebuild kits in my possession, and I am delivering them to the mechanic! I might make it out after all. after disassembling the carburetors he said that they were filthy. the boat hasn't been on the water since 2007!

Status
Not open for further replies.