another newbie, hull #12502

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
highly recommend, Mastgates.com, regardless of which product you may choose. (btw, I had some install questions, called Tom @ 9am eastern, he returned the call at 6am his time and talked me thru it...stellar customer service!) Clearly one of the best investments you'll make for a C22, no more slugs falling out when reefing, and less than a "boat buck"!
Tom is great. He's very smart, and seems driven to come up with excellent designs, and improve them.
He's definitely willing to incorporate new ideas.
As you say, his customer service is second to none.

I spent time on the phone with Tom ( http://www.mastgates.com ), determining what would be my best choice.
Due to the fact I have larger 10mm slugs with metal bails ( http://www.bainbridgeint.com/Item.aspx?Item=PRD-900102&PartNo=A019S ) , he was concerned that they may catch on the plastic insert gate design.
He said most C22 mains are 8 or 9mm slugs, which would work fine with any of his C22 designs.
He also felt that the stainless external gate was a slightly better choice on a C22, if the sail was being removed all the time.

Here's hoping that my slugs won't get caught.

What diameter are your slugs ?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
+1 on the plastic insert (3D printed). Put one in this season and works great.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
View attachment 152389

LR...my slugs mic @ .333, that converts to ~ 8.46mm...so your 10mm slugs would be a no go, I'd use the metal mastgate for sure...hope this helps...
When are you guys going to join the rest of the world and just go metric... would save us "out there" a lot of issues with calculating and converting!!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
When are you guys going to join the rest of the world and just go metric.
Greg, we tried in 1975, The Metric Conversion Act! (didn't work out so well, and I feel your pain, but in the reverse!)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The Metric Conversion Act! (didn't work out so well
Yeah. At least most vehicles are 98% metric fasteners now. And science nerds worldwide are metric. The old british system is so illogical. We may as well have used Cubits. At least "British standard thread" is dead an buried. or the ol Japanese fasteners that look like Phillips but are not.

I grew up with both, (as I suspect many here did) and it helps a lot when working on equipment of various vintage.

Makes a mess of recipes though.
And the damn US pint of beer is not only weaker, but it's smaller too ! ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
LR...my slugs mic @ .333, that converts to ~ 8.46mm...so your 10mm slugs would be a no go, I'd use the metal mastgate for sure...hope this helps...
Awesome. Thanks !
I asked so that others may find this info later, and include it in their considerations. :)

I commited to the Stainless ones when Tom said they would likely be better in heavy conditions, in addition to removing/bending on the sail all the time. Duel Stainless External tethered is a lot more $$ though.
Post office says delivery is 1 to 12 days. It's taking the milk run evidently.
I'll post details and install info in my thread like you did.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
Bill I looked for that bimini top on Amazon couldn't find it. Is there another place I can find that. Thanks Mark rocco

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
Mark, here it is...(btw, holding up well, great bang for the buck IMO)

Bimini...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZDJJIE/

Carver tracks here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5VCM2/

Jaw slides (7/8") for rear post support attachment to pushpit rail here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VYXM00/

(Note: if you go with the rail mount for the rear posts, be sure to check your rail size for the jaw slides, some are 7/8", > 85 models, usually 1")

Ron
Thank you Ron...by getting the tracks would that mean I can slide the bikini in different positions...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Thank you Ron...by getting the tracks would that mean I can slide the bikini in different positions...
hmmmm, yes, the Carver tracks allow you to slide the BIMINI, fore and aft to suit your needs, although I've never yet had the need to adjust them. As to getting the BIKINI in different positions, I'll leave that up to you, (I have my methods, your's may differ).

On a serious note, you can avoid the Carver tracks (and avoid drilling more holes), by attaching to the jib car tracks, as Gene Neill and others have done....

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
IMG_0386.jpg IMG_0383.jpg
Finally got around to putting the snaps on the new coachroof cover (original was rotted out). Great for saving the teak, keeping the bird crap off the boat, and rain water out from the crib boards and pop top, etc. Highly recommend this mod.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I have one also, but only extends to just behind mast, and mine comes down below windows. I agree on it keeping teak from weathering, avoiding leaks, etc. It is great!