And so it begins... The V222 Restoration

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also Jim, you need to inspect that keel sooner rather than later. The biggest problem with the V222 is the iron keels encased in fiberglass. This was a huge design flaw they later corrected. Certainly others on here can tell you what year they changed to solid iron, but I believe they continued with the flawed design until 73. The problem was that the iron encased keels would develop cracks and water would seep in. Then, of course rust would follow and the keels would swell and crack at times getting stuck in the keel trunk. It was by far my biggest challenge. Good luck and keep the questions coming.
:plus:

I had a V21 with the encased keel and my V22 was solid iron. Much better design. Just paint it with several coats of epoxy barrier coat and then a quality enamel to protect the epoxy from UV damage.

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
Todd, RGranger, thanks for the advice. I havent had the opportunity to check my keel yet. There was a survey done on the boat about ten years ago for a prior owner, and the surveyor checked everything fairly well with no mention of any keel issues. The Prior owner had just done a cursory resto on it, I have spoken to him and he didnt mention any outstanding issues. He is also a member of the local sailing club that I want to join.
Again, you guys dont know how much I appreciate the help and advice.

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
On my Venture 222, I have a Hood Yacht Systems Sea Flex furler. What is best to connect the halyard swivel to the mast? Connect the jib to the halyard swivel, and connect the furler housing drive unit to the bow (there is currently a brace(?) located there)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my Venture 222, I have a Hood Yacht Systems Sea Flex furler. What is best to connect the halyard swivel to the mast? Connect the jib to the halyard swivel, and connect the furler housing drive unit to the bow (there is currently a brace(?) located there)
I'm not entirely confident that I understand your question. "Halyard Swivel?" "Drive Unit?"

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Jim,
Let's move these discussions to their own thread. I fear any answers you get will be buried under three pages of unrelated material. That being said, maybe you can start a new thread and provide Rgranger and me some pictures. I'd admit, rigging my furler took some trial and error.