Anchor set up for Catalina 27

• Thread starter LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Welcome Tim! I have a C27 with about an 8 lb. Danforth. It has about 10 ft of heavy chain and lord only knows how much rode. I primarily daysail and when I anchor it's *maybe* in 10-12 ft of water. I've never had a problem with it but was wondering a couple of things from you and other C27 owners. 1) This appears to be an adequate setup for my needs but wanted a pro's opinion. 2) What kind of bow roller do other owners use if any? The forestay seems to get in the way of any normal bow roller and I don't like having to carefully lower the anchor so it doesn't mar the deck. Suggetions? LaDonna

D

Dave

C27 Anchor

LaDonna, The Catalina 25 has pretty much the same foredeck set up. I had one for 10 years. I also used a danforth anchor and I had a set of brackets that clamped to the bow pulpit that holds the danforth by the rod extensions at the wide part of the flukes. The flukes hang vertically and don't hit the deck. The boat is not set up for a bow roller as you commented. You could have a plate fabricated to fit the deck and have the headstay connection welded to the plate but probably not worth it just for a bow roller. See if West or Boat/US have the brackets. Now about your anchor....that is a very small anchor for this size boat. I had I think a 13 pound danforth on my 25. I really doubt this should be used for anything other than a lunch hook and only while someone is on board keeping watch. Danforths are inexpensive and you should get a larger primary anchor. Use a good half your boat length worth of chain say 15 feet and the rest nylon 1/2 inch rode and you should be ok. I always had 150 to 200 feet of line. 7:1 scope in 12 feet of water plus the distance to the deck is about 90 feet of line deployed so twice that allows you to anchor in deeper water as needed plus you can use more scope if a squall hits you while anchored. Best regards Dave

D

Dave

Bow Pulpit Anchor Holder

LaDonna, I checked WEST Marine and the price is 26.99 for the pulpit brackets and is good for 8 to 22 pound danforths. You can leave your chain and rode connected but make sure you protect your foredeck under sail as the chain rattling around will be banging up the deck. Wrap a towel or somthing around the chain. dave

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

brackets

I guess I forgot to mention that I already have the brackets. I was just hoping for a bow roller so I didn't have to hand feed the chain. No biggie really. Now as far as how big the anchor is...it could be the 13 pounder. Fortunately, I only use it as a lunch hook so that's why I said I felt the set up was ok for my current use. I'll look at upsizing if I start anchoring out more. Thanks for the tips, guys! LaDonna

G

Garry @ S/V TASHTEGO

Anchoring

LaDonna, TASHTEGO has a 22 lb Danforth, 20 feet of 3/8" chain and 210 feet of 1/2" nylon rode. She also carries a ten pound Danforth, 5 feet of chain and 100 feet or 3/8" rode in the starboard cockpit locker for a lunch hook (which I have never used). I bought a double roller/stem fitting from Catalina Direct but it wouldn't fit the way it came. It had a long tang that was meant to go down the stem on the outside but I couldn't get it through behind the rub rail and aluminum trim piece. I would have had to bend it straight then bend it back and drill a new hole in the stem too. I didn't want to remove the trim piece all the way around the boat so I cut the extra tang off at the bend. The tang in front is now exactly the same length as the old stem fitting but has an extra bolt. It doesn't project beyond the stem so I don't leave the anchor on the roller, I stow it in the anchor locker in the bow. I am about to add an 8" SS cleat to the fore deck aft of the anchor locker but forward of the 3" ventilator. The mooring cleats are a little small and I'd like a good big cleat in the bow for anchoring or towing. I'll put a good sized backing plate on the overhead of the V berth to give it plenty of strength.

T

Tim King

bow roller for Catalina 27'

Hello LaDonna, Until recently Catalina hulls had rollers at the bow stem that worked ok for raising and lowering the anchor but you couldn't stow the anchor without the flukes hitting the bow. The deck geometry of Catalina bows isn't conducive to installing extended canvilevered rollers. For an anchor system to be truly functional (set, weigh & stow) the roller must be about 3" forward of the bow stem. We at Land2c have a solution with Kingsprits. Kingsprits are installed on Catalina hulls form 22' to 38'. Send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail a picture of a Kingsprit installed on a Catalina 27' Thanks, Tim King

Status
Not open for further replies.