anchor retreival

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

art eskowitz

when about 250ft of anchor line is played out. it seems to jam as the line feeds into the anchor locker causing the windlass to stall and if not stopped instantly the circuit breaker trips. dealer installed a new and heavier rode made by edson, supposed to work better but still a problem. they tried dragging the anchor for about a mile to stretch line. the claim it's okay i have not tried it since. is it a design problem? and does anyone have a fix?

M

Mark Juetten

Design Problem

Yes it is a design problem. Not enough space for the rode to free fall. Hunter has tried many cures but the only real cure was to redesign anchor well and locker as on the 380. Believe me, I have tried every fix to no avail. You really have to have someone up in V berth to pull the rode down into the locker. A serios pain and design flaw.

T

TOM LAROCCO

Agree with Mark

Art; Unfortunately I've had similiar experiences in my 98 H376. I wrote to Hunter and asked for the latest update on this and after providing my hull number they told me a "retro" had been done on the windless which should have fixed the jamming problem (it didn't). They also suggested I drag the rode behind the boat for awhile to further lessen the problem. They said a Hunter employee with a 376 has done this and has had some success. I haven't tried it as yet. The only thing that has worked is to do what Mark said and have someone in the V berth pull down on the anchor line while another works the windless topside (not an option if your are single handed). If I have any luck with Hunter's suggestion about dragging the line I'll let you know. Tom LaRocco "Follow the Sun"

W

Wayne Brafford

jamming windlass

I can confirm the design flaw. Hunter mentioned to me that pulsing the windlass rather than holding down the up button can help. We haven't tried the technique as yet. A very fast tailing will work, but not possible if you are short handed. Wayne Brafford Who Cares II

D

Don Alexander

Chain Anchor Rode

I use an all chain anchor rode and solved the problem (mostly) by fitting a strip of plastic sheet across the Vee section of the bow where the chain fouls. See the archives. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.