Anchor Locker size '86

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
I hoping to upgrade the factory 4 or 6 lb danforth style anchor in my 86, whatever size came from factory. I am wondering what size/weight you are using that fits within the anchor locker. Unfortunately, I'm not at the boat and was asked for a Christmas ideas. What better than new toys. Interested to hear what you all are using. I'm located on the Chesapeake Bay so mostly soft muddy bottom.

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A #8 Danforth fits in there very nicely, with room for another, smaller anchor if you want two.

Before I got my Mantus mounted on a roller, I carried a Danforth 9 and an Attwood "10" (which actually weighs 5.5lbs), each with 20' of chain and 100' of rode. Not hard to do once you figure out how to pack them in properly.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Thanks for the insight. Do you think a #13 Danforth would be too big to fit? I know it's probably overkill, but I'd rather have the biggest possible. Plus I could always take it to the next boat :waycool:

Sep 30, 2013
I doubt it, according to what I'm seeing here: http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

FWIW, they don't list a 13, just a 14, but yeah it looks way too big. The locker is about 20" wide by 24" long by about 5.5" deep (not counting the well where the rode goes).

If it makes you feel any better, in my experience, a #9 Danforth on 20' of chain is a LOT of anchor for this size boat and a soft muddy bottom. If you really want overkill, you can always go with more chain.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I had a 13lb plow along with 150line and 20' chain rode in my locker without any issue before making my changes.

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Thanks Allen. After getting to the boat this weekend, I also realized the original anchor only had about 4ft of chain rode. I'm sure that limited weight also added to the anchor not setting.

Sep 30, 2013
You can bet it did. The importance of having sufficient chain cannot be overstated.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Ditto what Gene said. Remember, after the anchor is good and set, you have to pull it back up.

Gene, 100' rode? Guess I'll have to get used to the thinner water!

Don