anchor light

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Well, I need to replace the Aqua Signal series 50 bulb on our 2000 H420. The bulb is not the question. Its how the lens comes apart to replace the bulb? Are special tools needed? Its the first time in 19 years that its needed changed so I haven't given much thought as to what's up there! Any help will be appreciated!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Not much to go on here. You gave us the bulb, but not the application or the fixture its in. My assumption would be you're referring to either a steaming light or anchor light, and it seems like you're inferring its at the top of the mast when you say "up there".

If you can provide some more details there's undoubtedly someone who can assist. I changed my Aquasignal bulbs a few years ago, but without knowing what kind of fixture you have there's no way of knowing if my experience will be helpful. There's been quite a few Aquasignal fixtures over the years and you need help from someone with an identical one. FWIW, I had the same issue - you don't want to go up the mast only to find you need something special to get the fixture apart. If I recall correctly mine required minimal tools, and nothing special. In fact, my notes say: "Turn housing anti-clockwise - maybe push down and turn?. It should then remove allowing bulb replacement. If sticky squirt in wd-40, or something to help lube it."

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
If memory serves me, and it doesn't always, no tools are needed. I think it pulls apart. At most a philips or flat head screwdriver.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@sailor420 If that light has been atop your mast for 19years, you may find the plastic is brittle, and very cloudy. When you try to disassemble the lens it may crack in your hand. You will need to identify the light fixture (perhaps from image) to better understand how to get the bulb out. May need to contact AquaSignal

For example the Series 34 Masthead
Side-mount, pre-wired with 140 mm cable 2 x 0.30 mm2 / AWG 22, 2-hole mounting. Masthead, Masthead / Anchor, Tricolor and Tricolor / Anchor are with quickfits system, deck-mount
1600448221047.png

1600448242706.png

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
@sailor420 If that light has been atop your mast for 19years, you may find the plastic is brittle, and very cloudy. When you try to disassemble the lens it may crack in your hand. You will need to identify the light fixture (perhaps from image) to better understand how to get the bulb out. May need to contact AquaSignal

For example the Series 34 Masthead
Side-mount, pre-wired with 140 mm cable 2 x 0.30 mm2 / AWG 22, 2-hole mounting. Masthead, Masthead / Anchor, Tricolor and Tricolor / Anchor are with quickfits system, deck-mount
View attachment 185059
View attachment 185060
Not familiar with series 50, but the series 25 anchor light I had broke when I tried to open it up. Most of the lens came off in my hand but the threaded part stayed in the base. And it wasn't anywhere near 19 years old. Maybe consider just buying a new one before going up. LED of course, unless it gets physically broken somehow, you'll never have to touch it again.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
No tools required, there is knurled nut on the mounting bracket (lefty loosy) undo that and the whole upper part of the fixture is easily removed. But after 19 yrs you may want to think about replacing the entire fixture as suggested above, but they are not inexpensive that is for certain.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Don't remember the model on mine but it just took a 1/4 turn of the lens and then the lens lifted off (and left one of the little engagement dogs in the base). also be mindful of the rubber gasket that can stick to the lens and drop off while you are aloft. You do get to see it sail down though and it floats so have someone with a fishing net on deck to fetch it before it floats away. Don't ask.