Light

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
SBO store site for our model boat has this one
https://shop.hunterowners.com//hp/part.php?m=38&c=16&p=54417

Take binoculars and confirm it’s same as yours.
If it is you will note the led bulb replacement is shown on the same page

I did the bulb replacement a couple of years ago. Was easy although the bulb is directional so it matters which end of the bulb goes up. Had to try it in both directions to get it right

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
You know it occurred to me that you are doing a ton of shopping and research to get the parts and components you need to get your 38 up to where you want it to be. And that perhaps you hadn’t seen that SBO has its store site organized by boat model.
Here is the link to the 38 section https://shop.hunterowners.com//hp/model.php?m=38
I’ve found it invaluable as I work to keep mine maintained and to do upgrades.
If you don’t find what you need don’t hesitate to send the folks there a note, they are very resourceful and have been so helpful, even going so far as to find a source for a part I needed, or finding an alternative.
They’ve even gone so far as to question when I ordered something and they knowing I had a 38 were sure I’d ordered the wrong thing. They were right and got me on track so that I didn’t get the wrong thing and have to hassle with returns and reorders.

Hope you find it as useful as I do.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Perfect and thank you do much! Did you notice a BIG difference over the OEM and then going to LED?
Dramatically brighter.
Plus it uses much less power and since anchor light is on when engine isn’t that’s a big deal.
Another benefit is that LED doesn't get as hot and that gives two benefits, one the bulb lasts much longer and two the heat is in part what contributes to the yellowing of the lens in the fixture.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I did just the bulb and not the entire fixture or the lens.
Mine is a year older than yours and the lens was and still is very clear. Although we don’t have salt air and as much sunshine here in Michigan. Maybe an inspection with binoculars would give you insight into whether the lens is cloudy

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The requirements for display on boats 12m ( 39.4?) feet in length call for an all around mast head light with a rated visibility of 2nm. You are right on the cusp of 12m. I'd err on the side of caution and go with a 3nm rated light. Given that a lot of what is available is made in China, that would get a 3nm light to hedge against a less than accurate rating of the lights lumens.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
know what anchor light is at the top of the mast?
1. You could ask Hunter, I think they have a support email address.
2. You can do "process of elimination;" take as good a look as you can with the binoculars, and then find all the suspects on line, like Perko, Aqua Signal, Hella, etc., and try to match it up;
3. determine the make and "series" of your bow and stern nav lights; likely the mast head is from the same make and series.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Just as a point to information. I never use the anchor light up at the top of the mast. Instead I have an LED 12 V light that has a daylight/night off/on sensor. I slide it up on the forestay 10 ft or so above the deck. It is very bright and serves very well in anchorages where there are boats moving around after dark and/or launches running late. The masthead light is fine in open areas but in an anchorage with other boats around it is really so high it is not seen.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm surprised not every marina or sailing club doesn't have someone who owns a drone. Seems ideal for this situation. :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I have a 2009 H36 and replaced my anchor light after purchasing the boat last year. Since my steaming light was contained in the same fixture I elected to replace both bulbs with LEDs in the one trip up the mast. You might think about replacing other bulbs like that while you're up there.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I replaced my anchor bulb with Marinebeam triple function light bulb.

Ken Y