Almost killed my wife last weekend - with a pop-top

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I installed the lifters about 3 years ago and tested the strenghts before each season. I never had any problems. The lifters were strong enough to keep up the weight of my son (about 100 lbs). Last weekend we were closing down the bost - my wife was standing in the cabin and I was walking forward along the deck with the pop-top in the "up" position. At some point I tripped and leaned on the pop-top still carrying forward momentum. The pop-top slammed shot - right on my wife's head. She ended up with a mild concussion and blurred vision for a day. Before you judge - I did test the top this season and it was strong as ever. Also, I did not placed the original supports in theor slots because the lifters hold the top so high up, the supports no longer fit.
Anyway, I intended this post to be a warning for those of you who did install the lifters and do not use the original supports. It could have been a lot worse. Needless to say I'll post the pictures with the modified supports in place as soon as I install them...

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I hope your wife is okay.
+1

You've gave me means and reason to further procrastinate delay or otherwise belay my Admirals ongoing demand to get some damn poptop lifts installed.

To your Admiral my salute!

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
The pop-top slammed shot - right on my wife's head. She ended up with a mild concussion and blurred vision for a day. .
As a precaution I hope you took your wife to the doctor. These type of injuries especially with the symptoms can become a serious problem.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
You don't use the lock for the poptop? or it broke?
The 25 has a different pop-top than the 26d. The 26d pop-top lifts forward so it will lock to the mast. The 25 lifts back and has braces that hold it up from the front. I'm not sure about the weight of the 25 but the pop-top on my 22 was about twice the weight of my 26d.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
+1

You've gave me means and reason to further procrastinate delay or otherwise belay my Admirals ongoing demand to get some damn poptop lifts installed.

To your Admiral my salute!
Shhhhhh........ I've never told my admiral about pop-top lifts.

On the other hand, now I have an excuse not to.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Ive said many times before, Just because we install lift struts, they arent a replacent for the hold up bars..
The top can come when ever there is more down pressure than the up.pressure can support.. it might be ok for awhile, but not if you want it safe all the time.

in all due respect, this time it was only a bump on the head, and could have been so much worse, but next time it could be someones fingers as they are holding on to the coaming lip... makes me shiver to think about it...

We have had ours come down while at anchoron a calm quiet day... a large powerboat came steaming by at a speed that created the largest wake possible, and the motion caused the weight of the top to overcome the struts, and it.slammed down.

When I installed struts on our boat, i kept everything in position and just added the struts, so my hold up rods fit...andI use them whenever I have the poptop canvas on.
but I wanted something quick and easy for a safety when we have the top up and its expected to be quiet and and an easy ride on the hook or at the dock, so I took a piece of PVC pipe of the correct diameter that would fit over the strut and cut it to length to fit between the mounting flanges of the strut when the top was open... then I cut a slot in it the length of the pipe, wide enough so that it will clip/snap on to the strut... then I rotate it so it sets on the lower ball mount. (I actually cut a little slot so it will fit down around the lower ball mount a bit so cant rotate out)....

This is easy to do, its only needed on one side, its unobtrusive and the top cant come down unless the lower strut mount tears loose...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My wife the RN would say to be sure she gets checked out by a MD.

I haven't installed the struts. I would only consider them an 'assist', not a substitute for the original securing hardware.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
snip-I did not placed the original supports in theor slots because the lifters hold the top so high up, the supports no longer fit.
-snip
Sorry to hear about the mishap, and I hope she's okay.

May I ask what strength (in pounds) lifters you used?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
My wife the RN would say to be sure she gets checked out by a MD.

I haven't installed the struts. I would only consider them an 'assist', not a substitute for the original securing hardware.
If ever I do - what he said.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
My pop top has hit me several times and last year it hit the admiral. She made it clear that was not going to ever happen again.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Thanks for all the replies.
  1. The Admiral is ok, although she tired a lot during week.
  2. The Admiral refused to go to the doctor, but I had my annual physical with the doctor that treats her. He said to have her checked out if the symptoms persist for the week (they didn't)
  3. Lifters are of the 90lbs variety, and at the time I thought that was an overkill
  4. I installed the lifters on my wife's request so that she can open the pop-top by herself.
  5. I like the idea of a sleeve over the lifters. I will try it out this week.
Thanks again and I pass the good wishes on to the Admiral and update you on the safety upgrades.