Elec

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
A radar reflector is completely independent of whether or not you have a radar installed. I've had an Echomaster reflector since I bought my boat - less expensive, too. A radar reflector makes sure the other boats & ships can see you (assuming they're using their radar).

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
There's a LOT of varying opinion on radar reflectors. I'd do a good bit of reading before purchasing one. Much of what I've read seems to indicate that if the reflector isn't active its of minimal real-world use. It might be better than nothing, but not by much - and highly dependent on circumstances (e.g. heel of boat, how the reflector is hung, angle at which the pinging radar comes at the reflector, weather, etc.)

Here's a recent thread that includes a posting by me with a screenshot of what a Davis reflector looks like on radar on a clear day. Essentially, in that one instance (so its a data point/anecdote, not a study) the boat didn't paint any differently than any other sailboats around, and was significantly smaller on radar than a buoy. The radar was zoomed in so you won't see the other boats, but they all painted about the same.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/attaching-radar-reflector.197483/#post-1546349

YMMV, and I own a reflector myself which I would hoist in times of limited visibility, but I would temper your expectations as to the REAL value of it, and if at all possible, get a friend to turn on their radar and screenshot you at varying ranges and angles to see what you REALLY look like, not what a manufacturer puts in their ads.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I have all Garmin electronics as well and added AIS (transmit and receive). To me this is better than radar reflector which I also carry because of offshore racing rules require it.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
My radar is mounted on a pole at the stern and is about eight feet off the deck. Most mast-mounted radars I’ve seen are around the first spreader.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My radar is mounted on a pole at the stern and is about eight feet off the deck. Most mast-mounted radars I’ve seen are around the first spreader.
Agree with this. Just be mindful about blocking the deck light (if you have one installed on the mast) and steaming light. You don't want to go too high because you want close targets to be within the radar beam (not beneath). In fog I'm not too concerned about what's over the horizon -- I'm mainly concerned with the close targets.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that you have them installed you must go out on a clear days and practice using it. Use it often. You want to know it like it was your eyes. So if that day comes and the fog is so thick you can not see the bow of your boat from the mast you can start the radar and know/trust what you see on the screen to safely find your home port.