After languishing for two decades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
She finally has a name. I took "Sailing With Porpoise" out to an island and put a name on her. I roasted a chicken(and then ate it). Is there any other ceremony I should undertake?
I had a lot of fun but my outboard quit going in forward about 20' from the dock. I think the linkage slipped. I'll have to go back and try to fix it tomorrow.
I only have about 9,999 jobs left to do. I'm trying to catch up to Sumner.:D

Attachments

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I didn't see any mention of Champagne or Rum and/or a christening ceremony. In modern times we break a bottle of champagne against the bow. This stems from an old viking tradition of taking a slave and breaking his back against the bow as an offering to Odin. Haven't seen that done lately:eek:

Apr 21, 2012
Macgregor 26X Kansas City
Did she have a name before? If so there is a whole bunch of ceremonial stuff you HAVE to perform prior to giving her a new name! That is assuming you go in for such things. Never hurts to play it on the safe side. That outboard issue may be fair warning! LOL!

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
Warning taken.
Although I think I will use this ceremony:
The noble Prince… accompanied with the Lord Admiral and the great lords, were on the poop, where the standing great gilt cup was ready filled with wine to name the ship SO soon as she had been afloat, according to ancient custom and ceremony performed at such times, and heaving the standing cup overboard. His Highness then standing upon the poop with a selected company only, besides the trumpeters, with a great deal of expression of princely joy, and with the ceremony of drinking in the standing cup, threw all the wine forwards towards the half-deck, and solemnly calling her by name of the Prince Royal, the trumpets sounding the while, with many gracious words to me, gave the standing cup into my hands.

I just need to find some noble lords.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
This is what I did and have never been afflicted by the plague, scurvy, teredo worms, locust, waterspouts, termites, pirates, politicians (pardon the redundancy), mermaids or harpies.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm
Brown wasps and teenagers seem to be immune to the power of Mr. Vigors ceremony.
I pour some wine on the bow. I think a champagne bottle could cause serious damage!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
you risk angering Neptune if you do not spill some spirits!
better get on that ! be quick man!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
This is what I did and have never been afflicted by the plague, scurvy, teredo worms, locust, waterspouts, termites, pirates, politicians (pardon the redundancy), mermaids or harpies.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm
Brown wasps and teenagers seem to be immune to the power of Mr. Vigors ceremony.
I pour some wine on the bow. I think a champagne bottle could cause serious damage!
When we christened Freedom I taped a piece of angle iron to the bow. protected boat and made a nice sharp edge. Should have wrapped bottle in netting. Penny sent glass flying everywhere. Lessons learned. Advice given. I think there is a biker gang named the Noble Lords, but I wouldn't go there:cussing:

Status
Not open for further replies.