Advice from 26m and 26x owners - ease of sailing

Nov 16, 2019
macgrgeor 26x Portland
Hello,

I would be very grateful for some advice as to whether these boats are suitable for a beginner. Are they "forgiving" or must things be finely tuned for the boat to sail safely and smoothly? I've recently acquired one after taking sailing lessons and would potentially take the boat into Casco Bay in Maine. I wouldn't dare take it outside of the bay which is fairly protected by a series of islands. Any advice would be appreciated as to whether I should sell this and get another traditional boat that may be more forgiving. This boat appeals because of it's ability to operate in shallow water and land on islands. Also the motor is a huge perk. Many thanks.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
First, try not to say "finely tuned" and "Macgregor 26x" in the same sentence unless you're in a Macgregor only crowd. You will likely get a lot of ribbing. You own one of the most controversial boats ever made ( I own the other). In reasonable seas and wind, these boats are very forgiving; if you are following the recommended loading and keep the ballast tank completely full.

What type of boating experience do you have (other than lessons)? Give the forum some info and you will likely get better feedback. Read your boat owners manual. Watch videos on rigging and sailing a 26x.

Generally speaking, if you have all of the necessary equipment, and have had sailing lessons then, you should be fine. Start on light air days in calm water. Stay in protected water. I don't know your bay, but the bay I sail in can get rather zesty. Maybe someone in your area will chime in.

ALWAYS KEEP THE BALLAST TANK FULL WHEN BOATING. The manual probably says you can motor without ballast. Don't try it until you have gotten a good feel for the boat.

I'm fairly sure that a significant number of 26X and M owners learned to sail in them.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Check ballast tank for leaks if they leak and u go out in rough water water get all over inside boat or leaks out and boat gets more and more tender thru out day. Then when sure. Ballast full and center board down. It sails fine even it rough stuff. Just doesn't go to windward very well but that's fine if wind blowing straight into marina fill tank put centerboard down motor over other side lake and pull sails up and run her all over until u end up back at marina. All good, u gotta work real hard to flip and a little round up ain't gonna hurt nothing

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I sailed on a 26x before I made a decision, and I would suggest you do the same.

I had a test sail on a Lake Michigan, where I sail.

I think the boat can be sailed easy enough, as long a as you are in the right conditions. They are light and the water ballast is not ideal for sailing. Nice for trailering, and motoring, but not so good for sailing.

In protected waters, probably ok... The ability to get back to the dock in a hurry with a 50hp motor would be nice.

But check around and see if you can find someone to take you for a sail. After I did my test sail, I decided 2 things:

1) I did not want to trailer a boat back and forth...too much time setting up and taking the boat down. If I could not afford a slip, I shouldn’t buy a boat.

2) despite what I had hoped would be a cool compromise between sailing and motoring, I did not think that the Mac26 X did either one very well, and the boat feels cheap.

For me, a fixed keel boat, inboard diesel and a slip to keep it in made the most sense. But YMMV.

Go Sail on one.

Greg

May 31, 2014
Macgregor 26x Georgetown ME
Hello,

I would be very grateful for some advice as to whether these boats are suitable for a beginner. Are they "forgiving" or must things be finely tuned for the boat to sail safely and smoothly? I've recently acquired one after taking sailing lessons and would potentially take the boat into Casco Bay in Maine. I wouldn't dare take it outside of the bay which is fairly protected by a series of islands. Any advice would be appreciated as to whether I should sell this and get another traditional boat that may be more forgiving. This boat appeals because of it's ability to operate in shallow water and land on islands. Also the motor is a huge perk. Many thanks.
I sail my 26X near you, Sheepscot Bay out of Robinhood. I have sailed as far North as MDI and I sail solo almost all the time. As a long-time sailor, I am all too aware of the boat's advantages and its shortcomings. For sailing, a water ballasted boat with what is basically a motor boat hull shape is not going to sail as efficiently as a more purpose-built sail boat. It doesn't go very fast and is initially tender, until that water ballast starts to lift and exert some down-force. For a beginner, it is an easy enough boat to sail, but a hard boat to sail well. I also think it is a reasonably safe boat as long as you respect its and your limitations. Perhaps we could get together next season. I would be happy to show you what I do with my boat or give you some tips on yours.

Jon

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This boat appeals because of it's ability to operate in shallow water and land on islands. Also the motor is a huge perk.
This is why there is a large X/M crowd.
It's surprising that you already bought the boat before asking for this kind of advice. You'll be fine with it once you get used to it. We had a 26S for 10 years and I gotta say, the wife never enjoyed sailing until we got the ballasted keelboat.

Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
I think the MacGregor 26 will be a great boat to learn to sail on if you take it slow and easy. Be sure to fill the ballast tank, put the rudders, and centerboard (or daggerboard if you have a 26m) down, AND start with a reefed main and furled jib (if you don't have roller furling on the jib, I strongly suggest it). The key to sailing this boat, I think, is to make sure the ballast tank is full and you shorten sail early. It is also worth mentioning that the boat has such a high profile above the water that maneuvering to a dock or mooring or trailer under power can be challenging as the boat will easily be moved off course by the wind.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Risking in getting unfavorable response, take your own advice, sell it and get a real sailboat. You will be missing the real joy of sailing.