Adding refrigeration to a Hunter 410

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I want to separate my freezer/refrigeration from the spillover system. I got a Isotherm VE-150 for the frig side and planned to install in space next to the current unit. But the tubes weren't long enough and the extension kits do not fit this unit. So now I need to consider other locations.

So for the other 410 owners here who may of done this, where did you install the new unit and route the tubes?

Jan 12, 2011
I shined a light under and along the stove this morning. There is no gap on my boat to behind the frig that I could see.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I shined a light under and along the stove this morning. There is no gap on my boat to behind the frig that I could see.
I think you are saying there isn't a way to run the refrigerant lines from behind the oven to the frig box, is that what you are saying? If so I think the solution is to cut a hole in the aft corner of the box. Not sure what year your 410 is but that's the way I was thinking about doing it on mine a 1998.

Jan 12, 2011
I think you are saying there isn't a way to run the refrigerant lines from behind the oven to the frig box, is that what you are saying? If so I think the solution is to cut a hole in the aft corner of the box. Not sure what year your 410 is but that's the way I was thinking about doing it on mine a 1998.
That's what I am saying. There is going to be a lot of measurement before cutting a new hole. I have a 2001 model 410 and took another look today and the frig wall next to the stove is fully glassed to the hull.

Jan 12, 2011
Turns out there is a line/wire passageway once you take the linoleum cover off

20200901_102927[1].jpg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
I want to separate my freezer/refrigeration from the spillover system. I got a Isotherm VE-150 for the frig side and planned to install in space next to the current unit. But the tubes weren't long enough and the extension kits do not fit this unit. So now I need to consider other locations.

So for the other 410 owners here who may of done this, where did you install the new unit and route the tubes?
So been a couple of weeks since i installed the new refrigeration unit. Installed an Isotherm VE-150, which is a pretty small system with a BD-35 compressor and a small evaporator with its own fan. Installed the compressor under the stove and there was JUST enough room to get it through the shelf opening, which was good as that shelf is glassed to the hull.

The manual thermostat the system came with was crap and wouldn't come on till 48 and that was way too high. So used the digital controller I was using for the spillover fan.

Controling the frig temp 35-39 and the freezer is 0-5 on setting of just 1 instead of 15-20 with a setting of 6. System appears to use about 0.5 amps more per hour than the spillover was by itself. And of course the freezer isn't icing up anymore.

Jan 12, 2011
Well this project resulted in something I hadn't seen in my frig side in years. Things on the bottom freezing because that is where all the cold air blows down to and hangs out as there is so little circulation in the box. So I added a recir fan that I mounted onto a PVC pipe. Used a length that would stick up off the upper shelf and not likely get blocked. Cut the bottom of the tube to allow air flow out. Hardest part turned out to be cutting the shelf.
20200924_165409[1].jpg

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Never had that problem. My beverages would freeze next to the evaporator until I installed the digital t'stat. Now can better regulate the temp and all is well.

Jan 12, 2011
Update

I was having issues with the fins of the evaporator icing up and blocking airflow. This made the system run a long time and/or not maintaining temp. Solved the problem by rewiring the evaporator fan to run all the time. So this is blowing 36-39 degrees air across it all the time so now it really can not ice up. This probably would have taken care of bottom section freezong problem without the addition of the extra recir pump, but i just left it.

Havent defrosted the freezer now in 2 months compared to 3-5 days before.

Anyone with one of these spillover system who is going be full time on the boat should definitely move this project up their project list!

Jan 20, 2020
Hunter 410 Cast off from Cape Cod
Don and Bob, could you share the make/model info on the digital controls you used. I've got to do this same upgrade on my 1999 410. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 20, 2020
Hunter 410 Cast off from Cape Cod
Thanks for response and especially the pics everyone! I appreciate the guidance!!!