Adding a mid ship gate to a Cat 350

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Has anyone done this? I am tired of the lifelines hanging in the water or the cockpit. Looking to be able to step off during docking. Any thoughts or photos of your install would be appreciated

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David
You are talking about adding stanchions. Your boat was initially designed with out stanchions. They were added based on public opinion and desired safety. You can add a single about 3 feet from an existing stanchion on the side of your boat.
This will require changing the lengths of the wires presently in place. Because it is a gate you need to have a brace on the stanchions. You can make the gate an easy hold by making it out of 3/8 dyneema. I did that on my boat and it is an excellent system.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
David
You are talking about adding stanchions. Your boat was initially designed with out stanchions. They were added based on public opinion and desired safety. You can add a single about 3 feet from an existing stanchion on the side of your boat.
This will require changing the lengths of the wires presently in place. Because it is a gate you need to have a brace on the stanchions. You can make the gate an easy hold by making it out of 3/8 dyneema. I did that on my boat and it is an excellent system.
Thanks gentleman, I am looking on the Catalina direct site for the gate stanchions as "a bolt-on option" if I can get the starboard side to mount on the port side to serve as the needed "extra stanchion"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David.
This appears to be a possible solution. Comes in:
Starboard

And Port

I say appears as I have no image of your set up for comparison. My gates use the support bars on both sides of the gate. This supports the vertical bar as the gate breaks the continuous connection of the lifeline between bow and stern. Similar to gate building on the horse ranch. Where you install terminal posts with supports. Darn beasts just love to lean up against the fence. No supports and the fence comes tumbling down