Adding a Marine Head

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Thetford discontinued the 550P (MSD version of their 550) several years ago. The Dometic 975 is the only MSD portapotty still sold in the US (or anywhere else that I know of)....fortunately excellent quality.
However if you possess any "handyman" skills at all, it's fairly easy to turn almost any portapotty into an MSD version, thanks to a li'l gizmo called the Uniseal UNISEAL

--Peggie
I already have the dometic 975MSD, but i did see the thetford for sale on amazon for $140 and am willing to go that route if it is better. I do plan on connecting the MSD connection. For the thetford i noticed that the MSD pump out fitting comes straight out of the waste tank and connects to the sanitation hose without any twists or turns. For the dometic 975 I noticed that the msd connection makes two 90 degree angles coming out of the waste tank before connecting to the sanitation hose.

I was just curious if this would make pump out a little more difficult for the dometic 975 since the waste has to travel through two 90 degree angles straight out of the waste tank as compared to the thetford 550P.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I had to check the drawing to see what you're talking about....that wouldn't create a problem with pumpout. But in just a quick look at the specs, I can't see any reason why you couldn't replace one or both 90s with a straight if you'd be happier with that.

I saw the listing for the 550P MSD on Amazon too and I gotta ask that vendor how it's possible unless he's unloading some inventory he's had on hand for quite a while. I thought at first it might be a mislabeled portable 550, but Thetford isn't even showing that one on their website any more either.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Thetford discontinued the 550P (MSD version of their 550) several years ago. The Dometic 975 is the only MSD portapotty still sold in the US (or anywhere else that I know of)....fortunately excellent quality.
However if you possess any "handyman" skills at all, it's fairly easy to turn almost any portapotty into an MSD version, thanks to a li'l gizmo called the Uniseal UNISEAL

--Peggie
Hi Peggy,
I had a chenge in plans since we exchange posts on this forum. I decided to replace the sanitation system as it was, that is a new holding tank, sanitation and pump out hose and a new head. I am about to order the tank. Thanks for all your help!

My question at this point has to do with your reccomendation for getting that sanitation smell out of all the cushions. I brought all the cushions home and am taking the cover off the foam. I plan on throwing the cushions covers in the wash and let them air dry followed by some seaming repair. The thing is that the foam also has the smell in it. any reccomendations to get that smell out?

Erik

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
PureAyre PureAyre is the only product I've ever found that actually eliminates any odor, even smoke or diesel, when used as directed. You're almost certain to find other uses for it (any place stinky hoses have passed through) than just your cushions, so I'm posting complete directions:

You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses, then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor.

Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot.

A spray bottle of it won't go very far...I'd buy a gallon and keep it on hand...the Household version will work just as well for this job--and most others--and is the least expensive.

--Peggie