Adding a Gas Cylinder to my Rigid Vang

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter 45 Legend Warwick RI
I've a '86 Legend 45, that came equipped with a rigid vang. But it doesn't have a gas cylinder or spring, so I'd like to add a gas cylinder. I don't have any marking on the vang to identify the manufacturer. If anyone has done this addition, I'd appreciate any information.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is that possible? I assumed gas would be sealed units.
How rigid is your rigid vang? Doesn't it have a spring? How can it flex and "vang"?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Is that possible? I assumed gas would be sealed units.
How rigid is your rigid vang? Doesn't it have a spring? How can it flex and "vang"?
I thought the same thing, but my 2009 Hunter 36 came with a Selden Rodkicker, and it was standard for Hunter not to put the gas cylinder in them. I sprung for the gas cylinder (see what I did there?) this year and installed it. Took 15 min. You have to match the Rodkicker model with the right cylinder, but man its got spring now. Just over $100 bucks or so for my gas cylinder. And you can buy one harder or softer if you like. Previously I could basically just use the vang to adjust the Rodkicker with sail position, and with the main furled it keeps the boom just above the traveller and bimini without needing a topping lift. Now with the gas cylinder I can adjust the boom wherever I like and it says there, up or down. (Still have the topping lift - too useful for too many other things to get rid of it - like a riding sail, or lifting 4D batteries out of a deep cockpit locker by myself).

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I've a '86 Legend 45, that came equipped with a rigid vang. But it doesn't have a gas cylinder or spring, so I'd like to add a gas cylinder. I don't have any marking on the vang to identify the manufacturer. If anyone has done this addition, I'd appreciate any information.
Who is the supplier of the mast and boom? Odds are the same outfit supplied the vang. Picture of it might help to ID it.

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter 45 Legend Warwick RI
I don't have information on the mast or boom. I have several images, from which you can piece together what the vang looks like. From the fittings, it appears to be a Selden, but the cross-section is circular, not rectangular as are the newer vangs from Selden.
AS8_5636.jpg
DSC_0074.JPG

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Agree, the casting where it is attached to the boom looks a lot like the current Selden Rodkickers. Selden has a Facebook page, perhaps you could post a picture there and ask if they can identify it. Or, search for your dealer on the Selden website and contact the dealer. Selden does not work direct with end users. They only work through their dealer network. My kid used to work for them in Charleston so that's how I know.

Found a reference to "Selden/Kemp" masts and rigid vangs. See this link, discusses the round tube vang:

Also, noted on the Selden website on Company information, they say it was 1994 when they started supplying masts to Hunter. Perhaps they bought out "Kemp"

Here is another, refers to Selden buying out Kemp:

Last edited:

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
If your mast is Selden you should be able to find the serial number written in small by hand somewhere at the bottom of the mast. You can then contact Selden and they will supply you with the information needed. See picture of my mast ID number.

Attachments

• Helpful