ADDING A ELECTRIC BILGE PUMP

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
My 1989 Catalina 22 Wing Keel has an emergency hand bilge pump which was the first thing I replaced when I bought the boat. I have always been concerned about the boat while in the water and I am away. I have long thought about adding a small electric bilge pump to the boat. Let me know if any of you have done so.
How did you connect it to the power supply
Can it be Tee-d into the emergency bilge hose?

Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
New pump needs a new, dedicated exhaust hose.
:plus: Google them and you'll see some good wiring diagrams. It should be on some sort of water ingress switch (float or electronic) and also have an override activation switch.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I put one of these in my O'Day 25 when I owned it. Ran a hose to the stern and wired it in with an inline fuse.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I wired in a Rule 2000 GPH, next to the volcano on my 1987. To mount it, I bent a sheet of aluminum into an "L" profile, and then bolted the vertical part of the "L" through to the port quarterbirth area. The bilge pump was then through bolted through the bottom of the pump housing, and into the flat, horizontal, part of the "L" - which sits flush with the bottom of the hull. I didn't wire it with an automatic float switch, but just a simple "on-off." If I need to use it, I'll need to bring the coiled up discharge hose out from the volcano area, through where the step cooler is on the "new design," and then snake it out into the cockpit, or ideally a scupper hole. I also wired in an electronic bilge alarm siren, and it's supposed to go off if it detects water between two sensors. It seems to work well, and it's extremely loud. Hopefully, it's better than nothing if it's needed...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Random thoughts...JMHO

C22 has no real "bilge", lowest point is nearby the volcano
If it takes on significant water in that area, it is due to a failed seacock or volcano failure.

A good pump on a C22 is not a bad idea, by the volcano, direct wired to the battery alerting you to an issue.
When you are away though, it's too late, your battery won't last or the pump won't keep up with the ingress...

Apr 11, 2017
This is actually the pump I bought - not a Rule branded pump. It has an internal float switch, but without a permanent discharge hose, I didn't wire it that way. It seems like a smooth, strong pump, but I've only ever tested it for about 5 seconds..

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
C22 has no real "bilge", lowest point is nearby the volcano
I think the lowest area is towards the bow, just in front of the compression post.

I don't have a bilge pump, but am thinking about cutting an access port in that floor part of the v-berth and putting one in there. I think that's the lowest point.

Apr 11, 2017
My speculative disaster thinking has been that if the boat is taking on water - most of the occupants will likely be in the cockpit at that point. That might serve to shift the weight, and lowest point towards the stern. I do imagine that if significant water was in the bilge, there would be significant sloshing back and forth a lot, based on less buoyancy and wave action, etc.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My speculative disaster thinking has been that if the boat is taking on water - most of the occupants will likely be in the cockpit at that point. That might serve to shift the weight, and lowest point towards the stern. I do imagine that if significant water was in the bilge, there would be significant sloshing back and forth a lot, based on less buoyancy and wave action, etc.
Your first post said "I have always been concerned about the boat while in the water and I am away." so the cockpit theory may not be the best if the bow is the lowest point empty.

Apr 11, 2017
Your first post said "I have always been concerned about the boat while in the water and I am away." so the cockpit theory may not be the best if the bow is the lowest point empty.
That was a different poster, but I see your point. Complete nullity if the boat is unoccupied.

Apr 11, 2017
It was a good point - definitely need to see how the particular boat is floating in the slip - when figuring where to locate the pump.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
hmmmm, makes some sense, but if so, why is the factory optional manual pump inlet in the volcano area?:banghead:

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
hmmmm, makes some sense, but if so, why is the factory optional manual pump inlet in the volcano area?:banghead:
I would guess that it's much easier to access there, and it's also a much shorter run to the outlet on the stern (if that's where it is).

Now that I think about it, it's probably fine there if you're thinking of it for emergency flooding situations since the boat is pretty flat. Like, if you have a foot of water in your boat you'll probably be able to pump 8" out from under the companionway by the volcano.

But if you want to get rid of nuisance water then you'd probably want to go to the trouble to get the pump in the absolute lowest point.

Again, I do not have a bilge pump.

I did once accidentally get a lot of water in the boat while pressure washing it, and a pump by the volcano wouldn't have done much. I scooped and sponged it out from underneath the settee closest to the compression post.

Apr 11, 2017
Adding a through hull, for the permanent discharge hose, is the biggest issue, IMO. It can be done well, but it's still a more momentous project than some others. Gene Neil posted photos of a good job done on an anchor locker through hull drain.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The hand pump is an emergency item, a small electric bilge pump is just a convenience item. Each pump will require its own dedicated discharge hose. Electric bilge pumps are bench rated without a load, the average pump under real world conditions will only deliver between 1/4 to 1/3 of its rated capacity. These pumps do not have the capacity to fight off any significant entry of water and the smaller the boat is the faster it will fill. The best way to ease your concerns when away from the boat is to inspect all hoses and clamps leading to under the waterline thru-hulls. Correct any point of entry of rain water. If you have a shallow bilge it will be very difficult to connect a float switch that would work as desired for the travel room the arm of the switch requires. Keep the hand pump, secure all possible points of entry and just keep a manual switch on the electric pump that you can operate when you are at the boat. Honestly a automatic electric bilge pump will add very little to the safety of the boat.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A manual bypass switch as others have mentioned is useful. Sometimes the water will be high enough for the pump to suck it up but not high enough to activate the switch