Accent lights (easy project)

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
This must have been the easiest project I've done... added LED ribbon lights port and starboard in the cabin.. And that was a 15 minutes <$40 project.

I think the result is really cool, you can set it any color or brightness. It will make anchored nights even better.

LED details here on amazon. I don't get a commission.. but thought it would be worth a share.

Frederick
svpardonmyfrench.com

Attachments

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Looks great. I did something similar but have used a 12v small battery pack to power the lights. I hide it in the cubby behind the settee cushions. It looks like your set up plugs into a mains outlet. How does that work when you're running 120v at the dock?

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Frederick, did you wire these into the DC system? If so, where? I Did something similar on my H36 with port and starboard LED strings on battery packs, but wound around the upper rails of the interior shelving.

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
This must have been the easiest project I've done... added LED ribbon lights port and starboard in the cabin.. And that was a 15 minutes <$40 project.

I think the result is really cool, you can set it any color or brightness. It will make anchored nights even better.

LED details here on amazon. I don't get a commission.. but thought it would be worth a share.

Frederick
svpardonmyfrench.com
Thanks for the info, ordereded them!!!
I have been looking for something like this for a while..

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Kept them all AC. Very easy. I use my inverter all the time conversatively and it works great. I'll switch to DC if I need too, but unlikely until I really go long long distance ;)

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks for the info, ordereded them!!!
I have been looking for something like this for a while..
Sw
Frederick, did you wire these into the DC system? If so, where? I Did something similar on my H36 with port and starboard LED strings on battery packs, but wound around the upper rails of the interior shelving.
as mentioned in the thread I kept them AC. But just as easy for DC, I have power running for one panel accessory breaker that I am running on both sides of the boat under the floor boards with distribution behind the starter battery. It's easy to run the wires there. This is what I'll do if I convert to DC.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Looks great. I did something similar but have used a 12v small battery pack to power the lights. I hide it in the cubby behind the settee cushions. It looks like your set up plugs into a mains outlet. How does that work when you're running 120v at the dock?
It works the same on shore power or through inverter. Default is short power at the end. Consumption is minimal

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice look.
Have you noticed any RF interference from the lights on your VHF radio or other electronics?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
If you decide to wire them to 12v and not use the "power pack". does the remote still work?

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
If you decide to wire them to 12v and not use the "power pack". does the remote still work?
Yes for the ones I tried, but the lights are much more limited in color and it appears not have full functionality. I would try it before fully installing it if that is how you need set up. Returns are easy as can be on Amazon, and you could either exchange or choose a 12v powered one now instead

Best of luck! The result is very cool!

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Looks awesome‼
Did somewhat the same thing on my h34 about three years ago.
Also did the cockpit area. Really cool feature is 25 color options. I like the red color when sailing at night.
Post this project in the owner’s mods
hunter 34.
Here are a few pics
D1E51096-5E21-4E6C-9880-70EE30845F7C.jpeg
BEB217F0-082B-4834-BC48-30BEEEF8B5AD.jpeg
796F29F3-ADB4-47D1-BF2F-9456179859A4.jpeg

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle