#914 restoration phase 1

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
This is what my keel winch looks like:
B2ACFCA6-D7F2-4383-905E-F3EFEBBA28C5.jpeg

Note the absence of a handle. What are the odds I can raise the keel using a pair of pliers or some other kind of hack? Not sure how mobile it might be.

But if I could get the keel up and find a trailer.... just trying to figure out an alternative to a boatyard haul out. Otherwise looking at a couple month wait.

Decent looking J24 popped up on Craigslist....

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
This is what my keel winch looks like: View attachment 168252

Note the absence of a handle. What are the odds I can raise the keel using a pair of pliers or some other kind of hack? Not sure how mobile it might be.

But if I could get the keel up and find a trailer.... just trying to figure out an alternative to a boatyard haul out. Otherwise looking at a couple month wait.

Decent looking J24 popped up on Craigslist....
Maybe a good pair of vice grips might be able to substitute for a winch handle. Really lock them down tight. If needed, I've used a pair of channel lock pliers to close the vice grips - but you might need a screw driver as a pry-bar to get them open later. Could a small pipe wrench possibly do it?

Or, if you are going to replace the winch, maybe use an old chisel to score some grooves into the shaft, before you try to turn it?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
based on the diver's report, best to haul it out with a travel lift with keel down as is and put it on stands, winch is in unknown condition, likewise probably the volcano and the keel cable & attachment. If the winch lets go, the volcano is disturbed, the boat will sink....I wouldn't risk messing with it, too many unknowns down below...2 cents...

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
based on the diver's report, best to haul it out with a travel lift with keel down as is and put it on stands, winch is in unknown condition, likewise probably the volcano and the keel cable & attachment. If the winch lets go, the volcano is disturbed, the boat will sink....I wouldn't risk messing with it, too many unknowns down below...2 cents...
That's a very good point-