#914 restoration phase 1

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
CDI is about the same but make sure to attach a messenger line to the halyard before you lower the sail. The halyard is “short” because it ties off directly at the furler. Not too much of an issue if you are dropping the mast, but if you forget, you will be dropping the mast.

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Another quick question. What sort of paint would you recommend for some interior touch ups? Say, for instance painting over a red floor... Or painting the insides of lockers.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ordered the Suzuki 6hp 20” shaft outboard today. Should have it in 2 weeks.

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Spent 2-3 hours today cleaning the boat, which is starting to look respectable.

I noticed, though, that the forward hatch, which I knew needed to be replaced anyway, has exposed plywood core around where it is seated.

I need to take a closer look to see how rotted the wood is, but I’m guessing pretty rotten.

What’s the best way to deal with this. Based on what I’ve read in This Old Boat, it seems like drilling out the rotted part is the first step, and then filling it. But with epoxy? Replace the wood and then seal with epoxy?

Also, any recommendations for a replacement hatch?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Try to post some photos of the wood and rot area if you can, and it will be easier to see what should be done. If it's a big patch of rot, you might need more involved repairs. As far as all C22 replacement parts, Catalina Direct carries almost all OEM parts that could be needed. There are a lot of different paints that can be used, but Jamestown Distributors is where I generally select things like that. They have a pretty good website, and also repair videos. Good luck, and post up some more photos of any damage if you can-

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Paint, I'd buy some non-toxic paint stripper, citrus strip? comes to mind b4 painting over that, then repaint with proper white paint.

Rot repair, do an extensive search here, many have dealt with such things, rot replacement, epoxy, core repair. doing it overhead is a PITA IIRC from most...others will chime in with details...good luck!

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
I’ll get some pics of the area this afternoon and check it out more closely. Didn’t notice it yesterday til almost sundown.

I pulled out all the old wiring yesterday too, which leaves two small holes at the mast step, where the mast wiring entered the cabin. When I rewire the mast lights and VHF I’ll use these again, but in the meantime, I need to seal them. I was thinking silicone. Am I wrong?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I’ll get some pics of the area this afternoon and check it out more closely. Didn’t notice it yesterday til almost sundown.

I pulled out all the old wiring yesterday too, which leaves two small holes at the mast step, where the mast wiring entered the cabin. When I rewire the mast lights and VHF I’ll use these again, but in the meantime, I need to seal them. I was thinking silicone. Am I wrong?
NO to silicone anywhere on the boat, use 3m 4000 or 4200....tip, keep it in the fridge for future use after opening it, otherwise it's once and done...(I have a partial tube in the fridge butter compartment, still good after nearly a year, used it yesterday, just don't let the Admiral put it on your bagel!)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
So I patched the two holes. Not pretty, but hopefully watertight once it cures. I'll go back and scrape/sand it down later.
LV0FMvmSR3iTEbJo0fTAAA.jpg

I've attached some pictures of the exposed wood around the forward hatch. Surprisingly, most of it feels pretty solid. There's some soft rot at the aft port corner. Still needs to be sealed up I'm sure. I guess maybe drill some of it out and epoxy over it? Maybe put some penetrating epoxy in too? All in all, it seems better than I would've thought.

c7WprbSdTnWrJPlmNweuig.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
If you are pretty confident the deck & coring wood is solid - I'd try saturating it with some Totalboat penetrating epoxy, thinned about 50% with denatured alcohol. The hard part seems to be you are trying to saturate a vertical surface. I'd be sure to tape some cardboard or something down below for drips, and isolate the area with painters tape. Just keep brushing it over until it won't soak any more in. Once it won't soak anymore, come back the next day, and paint some thicker epoxy on it. If you go this route, be sure to use a little dish soap and water between epoxy coats - to remove the blush (oily feeling), and saturate it pretty well with denatured alcohol before the epoxy coats. Scrub it a bit with alcohol to remove that black mold 1st. Also paint a few coats of spar varnish, or paint, on the edge - to protect the epoxy from UV degradation after the final epoxy, if needed. Some others might feel differently, and I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do - if I felt it was not in rotted condition overall. Good luck-

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
In the process of removing the sail for some minor repairs, I discovered that the tack pin was corroded/rusted in place. It broke in the process of being torqued out. The whole gooseneck looks a little suspect, so I've ordered the "improved" gooseneck from Catalina Direct.

5uS8pPZ+TcyHlCkazaINSA.jpg

While we're dealing with the standing rigging, maybe it's also a good time to address the running rigging. But so many options... I read through this https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-Line-for-Running-Rigging to try to get an idea of what's what, but I also know the author's motivation and mine might not be aligned. Definitely interested in trying some of the more "high tech" types of line, but only if there's a real advantage. Again, not planning on doing any racing, just cruising around Honolulu.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice to see you here GOri11@, I visited the friendly island of Oahu a couple of years ago with my sister and her family and all I can say is, WOW!!! The people were friendly, the food, views, the water, hiking the mountains, the history, body surfing, snorkeling and food were fantastic. I just wanted to give you some credit and gratitude and also congratulate you on your new to you boat. Now for business, I also used some long bolts on my homemade mast crutch and so far, have had no problems with them. If I recall, I threaded some nuts on the bolts, then used multiple hose clamps to hold the bolts in the proper position against the bottom of the crutch and then wrapped the hose clamps up with self amalgamating electrical tape. Later on, someone gave me a set of pintles off a destroyed rudder and I added them to the mast crutch 180 degrees from the bolts. This way, I have one set of pintles when I trailer the boat that keeps the mast as low as possible for transport, then I can pull it out, turn it around and use the other set to get another 18" of crutch height for raising the mast. It works for me.

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Total newbie question, but what line is this? I think it's the jib halyard, just attached to the deck since the jib is on a furler. Not sure what else it might be. It enters the port side of the mast, comes out near the top and then is attached to a chainplate in the deck just aft of the mast.
IMG_2001.jpeg

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
A diver cleaned the bottom of the boat today. Or, maybe I should say, cleaned it as much as humanly possible. I just got a call from my wife saying, "I have good news and bad news from the diver. The good news: there is a keel attached to the boat. The bad news is that it's fused in the down position and the entire hull is encrusted with barnacles that have eroded through the gel coat."

I can't say that this is really unexpected. According to the diver, who is not an expert, though he is probably more knowledgeable than I am, the boat will be difficult to sail with the amount of detritus clinging to the bottom. I think we are going to have to get it hauled out and have the keel really examined to make sure it is safe and usable, even if it never gets raised. While it's out, if everything is salvageable, I'll probably have it repainted.

It seems to me that, once it's out of the water, it should be possible to grind whatever is on the keel away. I guess if the keel is somehow damaged to the point that it needs to be replaced, that would probably be a fatal blow. I'm not sure if there is damage to the hull that goes beyond what repainting would take care of. It seems that if the plywood core were exposed for any length of time there would be probably be some leaking or something? But maybe not.

Anyway, it's a bummer, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. Even though more and more boat bucks are disappearing, I'm willing to keep going if the boat is going to be sail-able in the end. Am I crazy? Or, maybe I should ask, am I too crazy?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
you're not 'too crazy'! but you are getting a bit ahead of the process....haul pronto, keel, cable, winch, eyebolt, hangers, hanger bolts, keel pin, all need to be inspected and addressed b4 you do anything else, (as well as bottom condition)...plenty of threads here on the topic for you to compare yours to, and the necessary fixes....and they ARE necessary!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Total newbie question, but what line is this? I think it's the jib halyard, just attached to the deck since the jib is on a furler. Not sure what else it might be. It enters the port side of the mast, comes out near the top and then is attached to a chainplate in the deck just aft of the mast.View attachment 168120
I believe you are correct - that's a jib halyard, and it's now a spare, as you have the dedicated roller furler halyard. It won't hurt anything to leave it right where it is, and if you ever get a whisker pole - you can use the halyard for it. Regarding your keel - yes, it can be ground down, and then epoxied to protect it, and then bottom painted. I used coal tar on mine.

The "keel job" is something almost everyone with a C22 has had to go through at one time or another. There are many excellent posts on it in the archives here. I can't imagine how the keel could possibly be "stuck" in the down position permanently - I'd guess it's locked up with barnacles, up close to where it meets the hull. The whole keel hangs on about a 1" bronze pivot pin - so it's certainly able to be raised & lowered once it's cleaned up. With any older C22, it's very wise to replace all the keel hardware (pivot pin, keel hanger bolts-especially, keel cable, etc., but not winch usually, if it's still okay). Be sure to check your shrouds extremely carefully for any broken wires or rust spots, and it's usually a very good idea to replace any rigging that's over 15 years old anyway. All of this is available at Catalina Direct, and it's reasonably priced.

The diver is correct - the boat is really going to sail much slower than it ordinarily would, because of all the growth on the bottom. As you've said, the first reasonable order of business should be to haul the boat out, and clean and inspect the bottom & keel hardware. If the keel were to fall off, the boat would immediately tip over if under sail - so give everything a good look over.

I'd search for some old forum posts in the archives about keel repair and refurbishment, and it will give you a lot of good knowledge about what is involved, what to look for, and how to go about it. You might be okay to take the boat out for a short trip or 2, but I wouldn't really put too much stress on things, especially under sail, until you're able to address some of these issues. The keel hardware & bottom should be 1st priorities, and the shrouds can wait a little bit if they still look okay.

All of this is fixable, and most of it has been done by just about everyone here (literally) - so don't get discouraged, and feel free to ask any questions you have. If you can find someone in the marina with another Catalina, 25 foot or less, they might be willing to give your boat a quick looking over, and point out some things that may not be obvious to someone who hasn't been sailing on one for years. Good luck-

Apr 11, 2017
Regarding the barnacles damaging the gelcoat - you should be able to get a much better look when the boat is hauled out. If they truly have damaged the fiberglass, that is a big issue obviously, so I'd consider asking around at the marina for someone who does fiberglass repair, and have them take a look at it, if needed. How long was the boat floating, if you know?

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Thanks, @Hardhead , that's encouraging. Previous owner had the boat for a little over a year and I don't think he ever raised the sail. Took it out for a buoy run once with a trolling motor. So, other than that, not sure how long it's been sitting, but safe to say a long time.

Sounds like it might be 2-3 months before the boatyard has a spot for me. Still waiting to hear something more definitive back from them though, so fingers crossed.

The wait wouldn't be so bad if I could be reasonably confident that whatever is down there can be fixed/saved for a (sort of) reasonable cost. Then I could just keep working on the stuff above the waterline in the mean time. But, as is, I'm hesitant to invest a lot more time and money into it if there's a chance someone is going to take a look at the bottom and say "no way."

The owner of a local bottom work business may come take a look at it while in the water, but I don't know what he is going to be able to tell from that unless he has x-ray vision. Maybe he can get some useful information from the diver who tried to clean it.

I have the new standing rigging, but not sure if it's wise to install it yet or not.

Last edited: