9.8 Tahatsu question

Sep 16, 2020
Macgregor 26D Mechanicville, NY
Hi folks.
New owner of 1990 26d and it came the a 2 year old 9.8 Tahatsu. I have zero experience with outboards and wonder about the capabilities of such a small motor.
Can I travel with relative confidence say from NY to Florida (and back) via the ICW?
Thanks.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Tohatsu makes a good motor. If yours is only 2 years old... change out the spark plug, put fresh (ethanol free) gas in the tank and take her out. Should be fine.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the world of sailboat auxiliary engines 9.8 hp is pretty powerful. Many sailboats do well with a 6, 4 or for smaller boats 2 hp. What can it do? Probably drive your boat at or near hull speed. But you won't drive it that fast. The outboard will be much more fuel efficient at about 3/4 hull speed. What it can't do is drive your boat into a choppy head seas as sometimes exists in the Sounds of the Carolinas with that efficiency. You'll move forward but at reduced speed and not too much comfort. Those are days to travel in the AM when the afternoon breezes have not yet kicked in. But that's true for larger boats and inboards as well. There is considerable current in some of the canals and rivers that make up the ICU. You just have to subtract the current speed from your speed through the water. Reving up the motor won't make a difference or not much of one. I'm not sure a bigger motor will. If you got a 15 you'd be burning more fuel all the time or running the motor at sub optimal RPM.
You do want to make sure you have the long shaft version, if it exists for that motor, so the prop spends more of its time in the water driving the boat.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I had a Clipper Marine 23 with a 10 H.P. Honda and traveled all over the Delta many times from Stockton to Sacramento to Pittsburg against lots of strong currents. The biggest limiting factor with an outboard is if the propeller stays in the water when the waves build. We once tried for 2 days to go from Pittsburg to Benicia and never made it due to wind and waves. Gave up and had the sail of our lives down wind to Decker Island. Our inboard powered HC 37 can make the same trip with ease under much worse conditions.
The lesson is you can do it as long as you can wait out adverse conditions.

Sep 16, 2020
In the world of sailboat auxiliary engines 9.8 hp is pretty powerful. Many sailboats do well with a 6, 4 or for smaller boats 2 hp. What can it do? Probably drive your boat at or near hull speed. But you won't drive it that fast. The outboard will be much more fuel efficient at about 3/4 hull speed. What it can't do is drive your boat into a choppy head seas as sometimes exists in the Sounds of the Carolinas with that efficiency. You'll move forward but at reduced speed and not too much comfort. Those are days to travel in the AM when the afternoon breezes have not yet kicked in. But that's true for larger boats and inboards as well. There is considerable current in some of the canals and rivers that make up the ICU. You just have to subtract the current speed from your speed through the water. Reving up the motor won't make a difference or not much of one. I'm not sure a bigger motor will. If you got a 15 you'd be burning more fuel all the time or running the motor at sub optimal RPM.
You do want to make sure you have the long shaft version, if it exists for that motor, so the prop spends more of its time in the water driving the boat.
Thanks shemandr.
I’m sure I won’t be traveling at hull speed all that often while motoring. I’m also not looking to get a larger motor. The 9.8 is like new and is a long shaft. I’m just curious if these motors can hold up to long trips of day after day motoring at normal traveling speeds such as NY to FL on the ICW or the length of the NY canal systems?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So, you're asking how long do they last? I can't really answer. But I think steady use over many hours is probably better than interludes of non-use. Maybe the Tahatsu website could provide a number for hours engine life. Yanmar does. It's like 20,000 hours and that's just for environmental standards.

Sep 16, 2020
So, you're asking how long do they last? I can't really answer. But I think steady use over many hours is probably better than interludes of non-use. Maybe the Tahatsu website could provide a number for hours engine life. Yanmar does. It's like 20,000 hours and that's just for environmental standards.
Thanks shemandr.
Your answer makes sense. Steady use is no doubt better. I’ve checked Tahatsu’s website and have found no hour ratings.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I don't know your boat but at a Yamaha 9.8 on my 5,000 lb O'day 25 and rarely needed more than 1/2 throttle. The extra throttle came in handy when the wind was on the bow or we had to punch threw heavy chop.
the trick is having the shaft long enough and low enough to keep the prop in the water. I had an extra long shaft if I got waked it might come clear but with most conditions I had on the bay it was fine.
When the long shaft goes deep enough depends on the boat and how high the motor mount is.
The Tohatsu's are popular motors. I sure wouldn't curtail my travels to try to extend the life of the motor. Just keep up the maintenance schedule and enjoy.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've had 2 tohatsu-outboard-motors and loved them. I'd never worry about there durability if taken care of. Best preventative care I recommend is to always run them dry of fuel at the end of your sail day, will prevent gumming up issues.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The legacy of Tohatsu is that there were designed for the Japanese fishermen that would require them to run all day, every day. They have a reputation of reliability and resistance to rugged use. So.... rest easy.

Sep 16, 2020
Thanks to everyone for your input. I will take your advice to maintain and enjoy. Happy sailing!

Jan 19, 2010
I've sailed the Albemarle a lot and @shemandr mentioned how choppy it can be. Motoring into a chop is grueling... but chop means wind and most sailboats can slice through a chop under sail. I remember a day with my son where we sailed from Alligator Creek to Edington... it was choppy but I had my small headsail up and two reefs in the main.. we were comfortable. A similar sized sailboat was to our port and motoring. It looked like he would climb each hill only to slam into the trough. I'm sure they were miserable.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Great advise, I'm not too proud to motor sail for comfort and make decent progress.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would have included something like that in my post but don't know those bodies of water enough to know if sailing is practical with the depths involved and the tacking that would be necessary. But in general I'd rather sail into a choppy sea than motor. I spent one brutal day motoring from Pt. Judith to Watch Hill into a spanking West wind and against the tide. If I was making 2 kts. I was lucky. I can't get that day back but it's hard to imagine a reason to do it again.

Jan 19, 2010
I would have included something like that in my post but don't know those bodies of water enough to know if sailing is practical with the depths involved and the tacking that would be necessary. But in general I'd rather sail into a choppy sea than motor. I spent one brutal day motoring from Pt. Judith to Watch Hill into a spanking West wind and against the tide. If I was making 2 kts. I was lucky. I can't get that day back but it's hard to imagine a reason to do it again.
Tacking is generally not an issue but there is a lot of shoal water. Because I sail that area every summer, I have migrated to the swing keel boats... so you are right to toss water depth into the mix of considerations. For me it is not an issue. The H26 does not have ballast in the swing keel so it will just skip off of the bottom if you find a sandbar.