'86 Galley Table replacement

PhilSp

Mar 31, 2020
Catalina 22 Home dock
I bought an '86 C22 last Fall and I'm having a blast learning and sailing. When I bought the boat the folding galley table (starboard side) was missing. I'm now looking to rectify that situation. I've looked for a direct replacement on the different marketplaces and haven't found one. I've looked for the exact measurements so I could have one made but I'm also failing to find those. Any help anyone can offer on best way to replace?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
32 x 19 inches, exactly size to bridge gap between forward and aft dinette seats when lowered to create a bunk.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you have a large cardboard box around - I've always found it helpful to cut out a full-size mock-up of these sorts of things. From there, just trace it onto the wood. The width, and port hull side edge are fixed - but you can customize the length, and starboard side edge a bit.

Do you have the metal fittings - that attach the port side to the hull, and the table leg? You might be able to get replacement table fittings from Catalina Direct. If you have these fittings, it should be pretty easy to build a new one out of plywood. Ebay might have them too, somewhere. Worst case scenario - it should be possible to bend something up out of scrap metal. It's pretty simple, and we can send some photos of the standard table fittings if needed. Good luck & welcome to the forum-

Last edited:

PhilSp

Mar 31, 2020
Catalina 22 Home dock
Thanks to both for the response. Yes, I've looked at CD at the hardware and found that, of course I was hoping to find a complete table with all the hardware on CD or eBay but not luck. With the measurements and I like the cardboard template idea I think I'll get it sorted with the fittings from CD. Thanks for the help.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Good luck with your project! This is your chance to make an addition to your boat will totally set it off from all the other C-22's out there. The original table on my '86 was a butt ugly piece of MDF with fake wood veneer and very heavy. There have been quite a few owners out there who have custom built their own tables and laminated maps, game boards, veneer inlays and other great creative ideas.

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
i have one that I am no longer using. I made a new one using the old one as a template. where are you located?

PhilSp

Mar 31, 2020
Catalina 22 Home dock
I'm in the Seattle area. It would be great to get a model to work from.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
PhilSp, I bought an 87 back in January. Had big spring plans but work in nursing and the virus had other plans. Still in the driveway. My table is intact but damaged. As another poster said its heavy and butt ugly. Just wondering if you had a material in mind for your replacement?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Sapele (a mahogany sub specie), won't help with the weight much, but it is a beautiful wood when finished, the grain really pops, almost looks 3 dimensional....you can see it here in my galley mod....MUCH less costly than teak and less expensive than mahogany...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
My future plan to use birch plywood - coat it with penetrating epoxy, and then spar varnish.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sapele (a mahogany sub specie), won't help with the weight much, but it is a beautiful wood when finished, the grain really pops, almost looks 3 dimensional....you can see it here in my galley mod....MUCH less costly than teak and less expensive than mahogany...

A sapele table would be INCREDIBLE.