79 L25 Mast: Spreader Corrosion

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening all. Had problems removing the bolt that held my lower shroud chain plates at the spreader mounts. I ended up removing the spreader mounts, by drilling out rivets then cutting the bolt with a cut-off wheel. I was able to move the bushing/bolt combination parallel to the mast and it dropped out the bottom.

The issue is galvanic corrosion between the stainless steel bolt and the aluminum bushing used to keep the mast from collapsing. Does anyone have a synthetic bushing recommendation to keep this from happening again? Also, is the mast thick enough to tap and reinstall the spreader mount using a bolt and Loctite® instead of using SS rivets? Thoughts?

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Good evening all. Had problems removing the bolt that held my lower shroud chain plates at the spreader mounts. I ended up removing the spreader mounts, by drilling out rivets then cutting the bolt with a cut-off wheel. I was able to move the bushing/bolt combination parallel to the mast and it dropped out the bottom.

The issue is galvanic corrosion between the stainless steel bolt and the aluminum bushing used to keep the mast from collapsing. Does anyone have a synthetic bushing recommendation to keep this from happening again? Also, is the mast thick enough to tap and reinstall the spreader mount using a bolt and Loctite® instead of using SS rivets? Thoughts?
have a ss bushing made to replace your old one....

regards

woody

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening all. I bought 5/8" carbon fiber rod and cut two pieces to 3.5" in length for the upper and lower shrouds. I have a friend who cut shoulders and drilled a hole to accept the 3/8" shoulder bolts. For the upper I made a small screw jack to expand the inside mast diameter and allow the compression bushing to be installed. The lower I drilled a 5/8" hole and inserted the compression bushing,which is retained by the port spreader. FYI the upper bushing has two shoulders and the lower one.

My plan is to replace the SS rigging with 3/16" Amsteel Blue, which I can splice myself, and remove the rigging when not in the water. I should be able to remove the rigging faster than gathering the standing rigging and prep for the trip home. And install the rigging just as fast. The additional benefit is not having a trip hazard present when working on projects.

Attachments