49 Exhaust/Engine issue?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Hi Guys,
Think I can demystify this a bit.
Our wonderful departed ambassador , Mike Harker, ran into this, and had do a major engine strip down with the engine below deck.
Basically, the drain pipe from the Lastdrop shaft seal was either plugged up, or sitting in a bit of standing water. This caused a backup into the last drop feed line, and backflowed the engine.
I do not believe there have been any exhaust issues on the 49. I believe they confused “exhaust repair”, with the Lasdrop repsir

I have a difficult time accepting 289 engjne hours over 10 years. Sorry, it makes no sense.
The 49 is a big boat. When the wind dies, you do one of 3 things
Pray for wind
Have a nap
Start your engine.,
And, as you usually have guests on a 49, a few of them want to get back to the dock to check their Internet.
Just sayin,,,
This spring...
My major cockpit upgrade revealed
Stay tuned

So slight update.
After checking with Yanmar replacement engine manufactured in 2012, boat is a 2008, broker says it was installed in 2016? I said I need paperwork on this, doesn’t make sense that the engine sat around somewhere for 4 years, waiting on more info from broker. Lol
I’ll try to check on the shaft seal and update this post.
Scotty Sailor

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
So slight update.
After checking with Yanmar replacement engine manufactured in 2012, boat is a 2008, broker says it was installed in 2016? I said I need paperwork on this, doesn’t make sense that the engine sat around somewhere for 4 years, waiting on more info from broker. Lol
I’ll try to check on the shaft seal and update this post.
Scotty Sailor
Is the engine the 75 or 100 hp?
On an important issue, look to see if it has the “dreaded water pump issue”
That being the water pump mounted facing aft under the alternator.
If so, you will definitely want to look at my modification re: water pump impeller access. This isn’t optional if you are planning to cruise extensively; especially overnight

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Is the engine the 75 or 100 hp?
On an important issue, look to see if it has the “dreaded water pump issue”
That being the water pump mounted facing aft under the alternator.
If so, you will definitely want to look at my modification re: water pump impeller access. This isn’t optional if you are planning to cruise extensively; especially overnight
Thanks for the heads up, it's the 4JH4-HTE1
According to Yanmar 100hp manufactured from 2012-present.
I'll take a look next time I'm at the boat.
I've included the identify your engine info spec sheet Yanmar sent me in case it's useful to anyone.

Attachments