49 Exhaust/Engine issue?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Ahoy Fellow sailors thanks in advance as I usually get great advice from this forum.

I just looked at a 2009 Hunter 49 that I’m interested in buying, engine hours are really low 289, broker said previous owner had engine replaced as water backed up from exhaust and ruined original engine, he said was replaced by Hunter as I guess was a known problem as exhaust loop was to low?
Anyone heard of this Hunter defect before?
Yanmar says engine currently in boat is a 2012 model .
Comments, suggestions or personal anecdotes welcome.
Thanks
Scotty Sailor

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Never heard of that. However, waves driving up the back of the sailboat, when the engine is off, can fill the exhaust system to the point where it backs up into the engine and cause $$$ damage, IF the exhaust hose is NOT LOOPED as far above the waterline as possible.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hunter went through a period where they were building boats with the exhaust outlet below the waterline. Never seemed like a good idea to me...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
No knowledge about a warranty replacement program. But an owner can flood cooling water into the cylinders if they crank the engine over for a extended period of time and the engine doesn’t start...

The 289 hours on a 2012 engine seems low....I hate to run my Yanmar, my slip is literally 500 yards from an open Lake Michigan, and put more hours than that...assuming 289 hours/8 years = ~36 hours per year...

Do you know when the engine was installed?
Any evidence that the exhaust system was rerouted or modified (to correct the exhaust system if in fact that caused the engine failure)?

It sounds like a good find for you either way I guess.

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
ScottySailor, recommend inspecting the exhaust elbow loop, discussing the engine replacement with the contractor that replaced it and/or have an engine survey specifically to confirm the exhaust elbow loop is installed correctly.............CHEAP INSURANCE. I would not hesitate purchasing that boat with an assurance the exhaust is fixed OR can be fixed.

Feb 21, 2013
.............The 289 hours on a 2012 engine seems low....I hate to run my Yanmar, my slip is literally 500 yards from an open Lake Michigan, and put more hours than that...assuming 289 hours/8 years = ~36 hours per year......
Not uncommon to put those hours annually on a sailboat since in the summer after the wind blows a stink it dies and that is often when you are a few hours from your berth and if you go outside the Golden Gate or into the Delta you will likely do a lot of motoring.

Jan 7, 2011
Not uncommon to put those hours annually on a sailboat since in the summer after the wind blows a stink it dies and that is often when you are a few hours from your berth and if you go outside the Golden Gate or into the Delta you will likely do a lot of motoring.
I meant the hours seem LOW.

Greg

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Not related to this model, but the purchaser of my prior Hunter was moored in a very rough anchorage and she was on her beam ends overnight. Water backed up into the engine even though it had a pretty high loop. Fortunately, he was smart enogh to figure something was wrong and didn't bang on the starter. They pulled the injectors, drained it, and no worse for the experience, but it certainly could have been $$$$.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
previous owner had engine replaced as water backed up from exhaust
There are 5 ways to back up water into the engine.

1) High seas, that allow muffler water to back slosh when engine down. [Minor water, should not kill engine]
2) Incorrectly installed Dripless shaft seal, plugged purge line, or external Water hose { I modified original post}
3) Restricted Exhaust riser.
4) No exhaust High point loop.
5) No siphon break on the sea water pump.

If you have a high loop on the exhaust, then even if the exhaust is under water, it will not back flow.

Jim...

PS: If anyone has another possible source of water in engine, chime in.
PSS: @Tally Ho and @artboas chimed in.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011

1) High seas, that allow muffler water to back slosh when engine down. [Minor water, should not kill engine]
2) Incorrectly installed Dripless shaft seal.
3) Restricted Exhaust riser.
4) No exhaust High point loop.
5) No siphon break on the sea water pump.

If you have a high loop on the exhaust, then even if the exhaust is under water, it will not back flow.

Jim...

PS: If anyone has another possible source of water in engine, chime in.
Cranking the engine, cooling water valve open, and the engine won’t start (no exhaust gasses to force water out of the exhaust). Or hooking a water hose to the water intake to try and test the engine on the hard...same effect.

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just had to ask:

2) Incorrectly installed Dripless shaft seal. How can this back up water into the engine unless it's responsible for the boat sinking and water is sucked into the engine air intake ?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
2) Incorrectly installed Dripless shaft seal.
Well it happened to me, but I caught it in time.

The PYI Dripless shaft seal was installed with the seal purge, like a power boat.

That would have been fine, except the installer picked an engine water purge source that was...

Below my boats water line!

So when the engine was not running, water leaked slowly backwards into the open engine valve.
Jim...

PS: For more details with pictures look at this link.

Water in Engine

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Yes, you did explain that once before in your Oct. 2015 posting #9 in your "water in engine" link. Usually I remember outstanding screw-ups like that one but that one escaped.

I don't know if you can include that as a "legitimate" cause as one of five ways to back up water into your engine. I just can't see anyone in their right mind pulling that stunt. It's about on the same level as running ANY waste water line into your exhaust line. A recipe for disaster.

I hired at top notch mechanic in a good marina to install.
Thankfully you hired a "top notch mechanic" to do the installation. Anything less, and you wouldn't have your boat today.

And that's why I never have, and never will allow anyone else to work on my boat.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi Guys,
Think I can demystify this a bit.
Our wonderful departed ambassador , Mike Harker, ran into this, and had do a major engine strip down with the engine below deck.
Basically, the drain pipe from the Lastdrop shaft seal was either plugged up, or sitting in a bit of standing water. This caused a backup into the last drop feed line, and backflowed the engine.
I do not believe there have been any exhaust issues on the 49. I believe they confused “exhaust repair”, with the Lasdrop repsir

I have a difficult time accepting 289 engjne hours over 10 years. Sorry, it makes no sense.
The 49 is a big boat. When the wind dies, you do one of 3 things
Pray for wind
Have a nap
Start your engine.,
And, as you usually have guests on a 49, a few of them want to get back to the dock to check their Internet.
Just sayin,,,
This spring...
My major cockpit upgrade revealed
Stay tuned

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
PS: I was the "mechanic" who figured out the problem and fixed it.
Here is my fix that prevents any PYI type mechanical shaft seal from ever backing up into the engine.
SealPurge 1.jpg

Jim...

PS: Note that my purge is on the correct side [upstream] of the siphon breaker.:)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Note that my purge is on the correct side [upstream] of the siphon breaker
Hi Jim, just wondering, is that an actual siphon break or just a high loop to prevent sea water from entering the engine. Pic did not show the top of the loop. A typical siphon break would have a solenoid activated valve at the top of the loop, which would open to stop a siphon.