47 Ocean

Jun 9, 2013
bavaria 47 ocean New Bern
Would like to share info with other 47 Ocean owners. I've had mine 8 yrs.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Welcome to the sailboatowners forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of great info on the site. We have a 40 Ocean and there is a 42 Ocean just north of me. Just post questions or topics and you usually get quick responses from the member base.

Jun 9, 2013
Thanks njsail. I fell in love with the Ocean series when they came out. the 47 had everything I wanted. ICW mast hight. 5.5ft draft. tons of room and storage. Nice price. (bang for the buck) Bought one and then began the long journey to fix all the bad cheap things Bavaria had done. The latest is a new deck. Finally the teak deck was beyond repair. A yard here in NC has a process that is awesome. Looks like a brand new boat. It involves a fine mesh netting in resin and gives a diamond pattern non-skid.
Water leaks were the most irritating. Seems Bavaria bedded everything with silicone rubber. That only last for several months. All the stanchion bases and deck fittings had to be removed and re-bedded properly.
Long list of other stuff, but I love the boat and we're headed back to the Bahamas this winter.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
I did exactly the same thing. I love the boat but some bararia fittings needed upgrading. How hard was reseating/sealing the stantions? I replaced all the thru hulls and sea cocks. I also did the hatches and the list goes on. I figure a little at a time i can get it to my expectations. Keep in touch with your projects. Now i need to plan to do the stantions - im not looking forward to it.

Jun 9, 2013
I assume the stantions in this series are the same. Of course it's the base mounts that have to be re-bedded. Takes two people. I had the outside person clamp the base with vice grips. Some of them were hard to get to with socket and various extensions and u-joints. Learned some new words. A lot of scrapping to get all the old silicone rubber removed. (you will want to do that so the 5200 has clean surfaces to adhere to). Re-installed with 5200. PIA but now have dry boat.
Had to laugh at some of the things BAV did. It's a beautiful boat and strong in most areas but then they install a $5 plastic raw water strainer for engine. 6 gal water heater for 2 heads?? 6 gal holding tank??? Fixed all that and more. Now have 15 gal water heater and 2 30gal holding tanks.
Fun though. I am a do-it-yourselfer and enjoy the challenges.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Like you I also replaced the plastic raw water strainer. I installed a nice big bronze Groco model in its place. I did the same for the A/C units. The holding tank I haven't replaced yet but did pull out and clean it. At least it was easily accessible. I give Bavaria a lot of credit on accessibility. Some boats have them molded under the floor pan. The water heater I haven't had a need to upgrade. So far we always seem to have enough hot water. Did the stanchion bases come out from the top after unbolting them or from the bottom?

Jun 9, 2013
Yes, the stanchion bases come out on top. Yesterday I completely re-routed all the cold water lines out of the engine room. They were all right next to the engine and on a long day playing "trawler" the water was hot out of the cold water taps.

Jun 9, 2013
Want to replace anchor light bulb with LED. Before I go up to check bulb type, does someone have that info? thanks

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Joining Conversation

Hi Guys,
Just find your messaging interesting. I own a Bavaria 36 cruiser, so not an Ocean, but a Bav.:D
I too have been contemplating "upgrading" to an LED bulb for the anchor light. Several good reasons including power draw and longevity of bulb life. However, after reading a thread on this forum, especially information provided by MainSail, a person who I think always provides excellent info, I have changed my mind.
According to him, (and it seems much case law), you are taking on a large potential risk for increased liability if you do. He knows this from personal (family) experience involving a court case over a boating collision. It seems that lawyers could use the fact that you "substituted a non-OEM bulb" as a defense for their client "not seeing" your anchored boat were a collision to occur. This thread is under the Hunter Owner's area.
Several stores and LED manufacturers are also posting warnings to avoid the potential liability chain regarding any "navigation lights" as defined under the Coll. Regs. See the following thread for more info:

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=152668

Just want you to understand the potential risks and problems you are "taking on" by doing what otherwise seems a wise choice. :eek: Ultimately the decision lies with each individual, but I think often these decisions are made without knowing the complete story. By the way, I did upgrade to interior LEDs (same fixtures, just bulbs) and are very happy with them. Warm white, I agree.

Regards,
Tom

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
I was only suggesting LEDs for in-cabin use. The prior owner installed LED anchor and steaming lights. I replaced the anchor lights with standard bulbs. The anchor light wasnt bright enough. I felt like a speed bump waiting to be driven over at night at anchor. The led lights are interior and cockpit only.

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
If you choose the right LED's they are fine for nav lights. Many (most) new boats are built with all LED lights. For replacements, some bulb brands are coast guard approved and some are not.

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
Look at Dr LED bulb replacements. They re approved by USGC, are bright, long life and low amperage.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Nav lights approved as a complete fixture

Hi Robgs,
According to Mainsail, if you read his posts on this subject, the US Coast Guard approves the entire fixture (with OEM bulb) and using a different bulb type "invalidates" this approval (unless you replace the whole fixture). For most people, using a good quality, bright, replacement LED bulb is probably fine, but as I stated, just be aware of the potential "lawyer type" problems you may face in the event of an accident. Especially if an intoxicated boater claims he couldn't see your boat because your anchor light wasn't bright enough and he has hired a high priced lawyer to try to transfer blame! :eek:
Not likely to happen......but just wanted you to be aware of the possibility.:)

Jan 28, 2008
Bavaria 47 Tenerife, Canary Islands
Want to replace anchor light bulb with LED. Before I go up to check bulb type, does someone have that info? thanks
I've done this on my B47, the fitting is a BAY15 (offset bayonet). Lots of chandlers sell LED anchor lamps in the UK, I'm sure they are available everywhere. Don't be tempted to use a cheap LED lamp for any critical lights.