40.5 Wiring For Forward Electric Head Question

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Any suggestions for a wiring run from the switch panel to the forward head from those who did a DYI install?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Plan A: I would run the wires from the switch panel forward in the wire chase that is at the upper corner of the cabin. At the mast, turn and run to the port side, then continue to the area over the head. There are removable panels along the way to pull the wires in sections. I have run a TV cable exactly like I described, stopping at the mast. I don't think it would be difficult to continue to the forward head.

Plan B: Or it may be possible to run a cable along the waste hose from the forward head, but I have never done that.

Alternatively, you could just string the wires directly from the switch panel to the door to the vee berth and then continue into the head. Much faster job, uses less wire, and this method would provide a "clothes line" to hang and dry bathing suits. Win-Win? :yikes: Well, maybe not..... Better stick with Plan A.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Plan A: I would run the wires from the switch panel forward in the wire chase that is at the upper corner of the cabin. At the mast, turn and run to the port side, then continue to the area over the head. There are removable panels along the way to pull the wires in sections. I have run a TV cable exactly like I described, stopping at the mast. I don't think it would be difficult to continue to the forward head.

Plan B: Or it may be possible to run a cable along the waste hose from the forward head, but I have never done that.

Alternatively, you could just string the wires directly from the switch panel to the door to the vee berth and then continue into the head. Much faster job, uses less wire, and this method would provide a "clothes line" to hang and dry bathing suits. Win-Win? :yikes: Well, maybe not..... Better stick with Plan A.
I was thinking of Plan A. The turns are a b#### with 6 gauge duplex wire. The alternative (Plan A-2) is to run it all the way forward following the windlass run, and then over to the port side and back. Uses a lot of wire though. I hadn't thought of Plan B. Thanks for the suggestion. Worth exploring!

edguy3

Jul 20, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Liberty Landing, NJ
Rick,
Which model head did you get?
Any issues with installing?
Thanks
/ed

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Rick, I'm confused by your term "switch panel." To me, that means the flush buttons...Each toilet should have its own separate one installed next to it. Or are you referring to the breaker panel?

--Peggie

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Rick, I'm confused by your term "switch panel." To me, that means the flush buttons...Each toilet should have its own separate one installed next to it. Or are you referring to the breaker panel?

--Peggie
You guessed correctly. I meant the breaker panel. I installed separate breakers for each head. Good hearing from you and hope you are doing well!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Doing very well, thank you! And it's great to see you here again...it's been a while!

If your new toilets used onboard pressurized fresh water, did you install shut-off valves in the flush water intake line? They make it possible to turn off water to the toilet if you need to replace a joker valve or other maintenance without having to turn off water to the whole boat.

--Peggie