40.5 holding tank replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Ok, I'm finally ready to replace my old holding tank in my 97 40.5, I have the new replacement tank, new hoses and all necessary fittings (including the hose mender coupler) I have read all the previous posts and viewed all pictures (from Rick I think) my only question and concern is replacing the hose from the forward head to the new tank, In reading a earlier post that "POTL" said she and Capt. Grumpy did replace theirs and I think she said she had to remove to forward cabinet??? Princess:neutral:, were you refering to the cabinet assembly under the v-berth?? if so could you or any body else that has replaced that long run of hose be willing to share any helpful hints??, the rest seems to be fairly straight forward.
Thanks in advance for yor comments and help.:)

Capt. Ron
S/V Winddreamer
hunter 40.5
New Bern, NC

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I wish I could. I know others have replaced it. My hose was fine. Before you replace it, you may want to check it unless your call is better to get it over with... That head on mine doesn't get much regular use, so the hose was (is) fine.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Captron-
It's really not all that hard. Remove the cushions first. What you need to pull out is the storage cabinet under the V-Berth. If you look in the lazarette on the port side you will see the back side of that cabinet and you will also see the hose running along the bottom of the space, I think. There are a few screws that you will see that need to be removed. Once you do that you can kind of wiggle that cabinet out of the space a little bit-it doesn't have to come all the way out. It just needs to come out far enough to let the hose run. Once you do that pulling the old stinky one is not hard-just stinky! If I had pictures I would send them to you but seriously, if we can figure it out anyone can:).
Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
POTL, Thank you, for confirming, I know what you are refering to, sounds pretty straight forward, I look forward to getting this job behind me.

Capt. Ron

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
The only other thing I was going to mention although you have probably already thought of this, when you are ready to pull the old hose out disconnect it at the holding tank, attach the new hose to it and then pull it through from there after disconnecting it from the toilet of course. Once you loosen that cabinet it will pop right out.

POTL

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
POTL,

Are you saying to attach the new hose (with the hose mender) at the forward head and pull on the old hose from the holding tank end?? or just the reverse, as I was wondering if one or the other would be easier??, seems I would have a straighter pull from the holding tank end after it snakes thru the bottom of the v-berth??

Thanks much
Capt. Ron

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Before you start this project...

Flush MEGA GALLONS of clean fresh water through the whole system. Thoroughly flush out the tank. Doesn't matter that you're tossing everything overboard...it's the spills when you take it apart that you want to be only clean water. Put garbage bags or disposable aluminum pans under each hose connection to catch any spill.

Re the hose mender: Cut the ends of the both the new and old hoses as cleanly as possible...Butt 'em tightly together...you want the smoothest unbroken surface possible to pull through tight places. Which is why you need to use PVC cement to keep the hoses on the mender...hose clamps can get caught...duct tape won't hold if you have to pull hard. Once you get the new hose all the way through, cut it off behind the coupler.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
holding tank replacement

Flush MEGA GALLONS of clean fresh water through the whole system. Thoroughly flush out the tank. Doesn't matter that you're tossing everything overboard...it's the spills when you take it apart that you want to be only clean water. Put garbage bags or disposable aluminum pans under each hose connection to catch any spill.

Re the hose mender: Cut the ends of the both the new and old hoses as cleanly as possible...Butt 'em tightly together...you want the smoothest unbroken surface possible to pull through tight places. Which is why you need to use PVC cement to keep the hoses on the mender...hose clamps can get caught...duct tape won't hold if you have to pull hard. Once you get the new hose all the way through, cut it off behind the coupler.
Thanks Peggy, and POTL, that's exactly what I had planned to do.

Capt. Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.