40.5 Companionway hatch

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
I have a problem with the overhead sliding companionway hatch in that it now only slides about 2/3 open, something went "clunk" and now when sliding open the hatch it hits a solid stop limiting the opening. anyone else ever dealt with this or any suggestions as how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Capt. Ron
S/V Wind Dreamer
Hunter 40.5
New Bern, NC

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Capt Ron:

Have your tried to remove your sea hood? I am not sure about your configuration. Once you remove the screws around the edge there may be a couple of bolts that go through the traveler and sea hood. Remove them and you "should/may" be able to remove the sea hood.

I think that there may be some posts in the archives about this on your model.

PS: Once you get those bolts out be sure to use some Tef-Gel on them before you replace them.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Capt Ron:

Have your tried to remove your sea hood? I am not sure about your configuration. Once you remove the screws around the edge there may be a couple of bolts that go through the traveler and sea hood. Remove them and you "should/may" be able to remove the sea hood.

I think that there may be some posts in the archives about this on your model.

PS: Once you get those bolts out be sure to use some Tef-Gel on them before you replace them.
Steve
That's when it happened, I was trying to remove the sea hood (for the 2nd time) trying to chase down a leak the keeps coming thru the mast base compression post, my model is a 197 so it is one piece, easily remove first time, but now the bolts are stripped or they either keep tuning with backing out or are completely frozen, so have had no luck trying to budge the sea hood.

Ron

Apr 23, 2012
Hunter 430 Kemah
on most, Hunter uses a 1x2x8 block of wood for a spacer,when the screws are taken out are turned the spacer will turn towards the hatch causing it not to open all the way. You will have to lift the hood to gain access.